What's new

R7000 vs R7800

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

infinity

New Around Here
I currently have a 1000/100 connection and i'm shopping for a router.
The only devises i use are my Macbook pro.
I live in a 1 bedroom apartment, so range, etc doesnt matter.

I've boiled it down to two routers, which has excellent prices right now
-R7000 ($130)
-R7800 ($200)

The price difference is not that important since i usually stick with routers for a very long time (+5 years), however what makes me hesitate to pull the trigger on R7800 is the problems with mac units (when going to sleep, it lose connection)

I'd go for the R7000, even though I don't have experience with the R7800. The AC1900 class of routers is currently (and will be for a while) the sweet spot when it comes to performance and price. But if you're a sucker for the newer stuff like MU-MIMO and all the other Wave 2 gizmos, you should go with the R7800. That said, the R7000 is much better supported by third-party firmware right now (DD-WRT, Tomato, OpenWRT maybe?)

I don't have Apple hardware here (I personally dislike Apple) but the R7000 will perform well with them as seen from various reports. YMMY

I'd go for the R7000, even though I don't have experience with the R7800. The AC1900 class of routers is currently (and will be for a while) the sweet spot when it comes to performance and price. But if you're a sucker for the newer stuff like MU-MIMO and all the other Wave 2 gizmos, you should go with the R7800. That said, the R7000 is much better supported by third-party firmware right now (DD-WRT, Tomato, OpenWRT maybe?)

I don't have Apple hardware here (I personally dislike Apple) but the R7000 will perform well with them as seen from various reports. YMMY

Also iOS friendly router should be considered. I have R7800 only thing Apple in the house is one old Macbook, and couple iPADs which work fine connected via wireless. Should check with NG user forum regarding R7000 or R7800 with iOS product. When I had R7000 it was working very good with dd-wrt.

Thanks for the replies. I saw a post about an update that fixed the MAC issue, and thus i deicided to pull the trigger on R7800.

Since i will keep this for a long time, i figured i'd be happier with this router in the long term, and i could use the extra speed.

Thanks for the replies. I saw a post about an update that fixed the MAC issue, and thus i deicided to pull the trigger on R7800.

Since i will keep this for a long time, i figured i'd be happier with this router in the long term, and i could use the extra speed.
One thing about R7800, this router running temp. is pretty cool. Just luke warm to touch vs, some other ones.

@TonyH

one of the reasons why I dislike ASUS routers just a little bit. Not saying they are bad! Not at all. But they do run hot compared to other brands and PERSONALLY I lost two of them due to this so I currently stay away from them

I currently have a 1000/100 connection and i'm shopping for a router.
The only devises i use are my Macbook pro.
I live in a 1 bedroom apartment, so range, etc doesnt matter.

I've boiled it down to two routers, which has excellent prices right now
-R7000 ($130)
-R7800 ($200)

The price difference is not that important since i usually stick with routers for a very long time (+5 years), however what makes me hesitate to pull the trigger on R7800 is the problems with mac units (when going to sleep, it lose connection)

You probably want to look at this:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287177&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Incredible performance compared to a R7000. This unit is supposed to be able to fully handle a 1000mbps line.

You probably want to look at this:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287177&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Incredible performance compared to a R7000. This unit is supposed to be able to fully handle a 1000mbps line.

Seems to be twice as fast as R7000, which seems incredible! Thanks for the link.
Other than that im not entirely sure how to read the data. Is that the maximum speed they can downstream? Or is the benchmarking feeding a specific amount of traffic?

@TonyH

one of the reasons why I dislike ASUS routers just a little bit. Not saying they are bad! Not at all. But they do run hot compared to other brands and PERSONALLY I lost two of them due to this so I currently stay away from them[/QUOTE

Broadcom chips are known to run hotter. Likewise I did not feel comfortable with my last ASUS router.

My previous Linksys (WRT310N if I remember correctly) ran hotter than my following Asus routers - the wooden shelf underside was more than warm to the touch). My current RT-AC88U isn't that warm to the touch, despite having a 1.4 GHz CPU.

This is just common with modern high-end routers. We're talking gigahertz-class processors now, with next to no power management (unlike with cells/tablets), for latency reasons most likely.

Took me a while to find the link
Seems to be twice as fast as R7000, which seems incredible! Thanks for the link.
Other than that im not entirely sure how to read the data. Is that the maximum speed they can downstream? Or is the benchmarking feeding a specific amount of traffic?

These are just openssl speed results that measure cpu performance with openssl bench. But I recall that someone posted iperf results, thus just did a quick search for iperf and R7800:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=289788&highlight=r7800

The latest Netgear R7800 firmware fixes several reported problems, including the Apple client problem that had to do with sleep and wakeup, and a problem that some users were having with IPv6. The release notes include the full list of headline problems fixed. I currently have no problems with the latest Netgear firmware on the R7800, other than the fact that it's OEM firmware and doesn't offer me much information about my network. Or a decent system log, or...

Anyways, I just checked, and it's been up for over 9 days now. That could be a new world's record for me *smile*.

The wireless coverage is a bit better than the R7000, and it seems to be a solid piece of hardware as well.