What's new

[R7800] 5GHz only ~150MBps on smartphone

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fishhf

New Around Here
Just got a new R7800 and having speed issues.
I'm getting only ~150Mbps download and ~600Mbps upload on speedtest running on my Oneplus 5 (Snapdragon 835) and Xperia Z5 (Snapdragon 810) on the 5Ghz band. There are no packet loss. The same speed for iperf between wireless and LAN. LAN to WAN is 900Mbps for both directions, so it's fine.

I already tried all the stock firmwares plus voxel's and all the wireless settings combination, but I can only make it worse lol. I also tried removing all the antennas and connecting only one of them at anytime to confirm if they work, they all do.

Anyone have similar experience? Is it a hardware problem?

Just got a new R7800 and having speed issues.
I'm getting only ~150Mbps download and ~600Mbps upload on speedtest running on my Oneplus 5 (Snapdragon 835) and Xperia Z5 (Snapdragon 810) on the 5Ghz band. There are no packet loss. The same speed for iperf between wireless and LAN. LAN to WAN is 900Mbps for both directions, so it's fine.

I already tried all the stock firmwares plus voxel's and all the wireless settings combination, but I can only make it worse lol. I also tried removing all the antennas and connecting only one of them at anytime to confirm if they work, they all do.

Anyone have similar experience? Is it a hardware problem?

Maybe you can try with speedtest on desktop or laptop, connected to R7800 via wireless, to eliminate problem from your cell phone, narrow down the root cause is on router itself or not.

William

Maybe you can try with speedtest on desktop or laptop, connected to R7800 via wireless, to eliminate problem from your cell phone, narrow down the root cause is on router itself or not.

William

Speedtests on both my PC and IPod touch via 5GHz measures 2XXMbps for both download and upload, so they are normal.

I'm just not able to figure out why can my phone transmit at 6XX Mbps but the #1 ranked router can only transmit to my phone at 1XX Mbps on the same link with a 866 Mbps link speed...

From my memory of the Oneplus 5, it doesn't have particularly fast wifi. Just because it has a 835 SOC doesn't mean it will be able to do fast wifi.

For example, with my router my old OnePlus only ever did 433Mb link, yet my Galaxy S10e in the exact same place gives a 1083Mb link.

From my memory of the Oneplus 5, it doesn't have particularly fast wifi. Just because it has a 835 SOC doesn't mean it will be able to do fast wifi.

For example, with my router my old OnePlus only ever did 433Mb link, yet my Galaxy S10e in the exact same place gives a 1083Mb link.

It was able to do a 146Mbps download and a 629Mbps upload on the same link. The phone was reporting a link speed of 866Mbps.

Say your one plus 5 can be a culprit here.

Yes Samsung s10e have ax wireless it can do better speed upto 1733 not confirmed as dual 80MHZ ie 160MHz support for wave 2 spec.

when your pc and Ipad doesn't have issue at time speed test app is bugged on phone.

try using dslreports. Sometimes phone procy can slow thing on certain task.

I have ac 2x2 phone with mimo. Max it hit was 700Mbos on download and 400 ish on upload when isp was testing 1gbps speed .

With link speed of 866Mbps unlilke desktop client I believe mobiles cant do max transfer rate. As they are power limited to an extend.

I believe your router has no issues unless you get same on all clients or connection drops .

Check with other phones than op5 and 10e to see if they also faces the same issues

Indeed, you're pushing the limit of the flash storage on a smartphone with faster wifi. Besides, what do you need all that speed for on your phone? If you're using a phone to test your ISP speed, then really you're doing it wrong.

It's like putting Formula 1 tyres on a 1.2 Renault Clio and wondering why you can't do 8 minute laps of the Nurburgring.

Sold the R7800 and bought a second hand ruckus r600, same speed as the netgear. I have to conclude it's either interference or it's my smartphones' problem, the Netgear was fine.

Can you also try plugging in the phone to charge and test it like that? Preferably with the battery full or near full so it's not drawing too much power from the charger and generating extra heat from that. I've had phones that slow down WiFi when running on battery.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!