What's new

R7800 access control issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

doc octopus

I report a problem in the access control function: When the NAS is locked you can not access the local network, but the file-sharing services continue to operate normally. Same thing happened with a smartphone, despite being blocked, continued to download updates from the store.
In "Attached Devices" are indicated as blocked even if they continue to access the internet.

Which firmware are you on? I will check this later tonight to see if I can replicate it.

Access control worked for me with the few devices I checked including my NAS. Ill keep checking to see if I can run into the issue.

Is anyone else having problems when trying to hard code 2.4GHz to Channel 1? I believe it was working fine before I upgraded to the latest firmware earlier this evening but the 2.4GHz is super slow when sent to Channel 1.

Channel interference?

Using InSSIDer Channel 1 is completely empty, which is why I want to use it. The connection becomes super slow however when set to Channel 1. The weird thing is that Auto always sets the router to channel 3 which I find strange.

Using InSSIDer Channel 1 is completely empty, which is why I want to use it. The connection becomes super slow however when set to Channel 1. The weird thing is that Auto always sets the router to channel 3 which I find strange.

That does seem odd. I will do some testing and get back to you tomorrow.

That does seem odd. I will do some testing and get back to you tomorrow.

Thanks. The funny / frustrating thing is that my R7000's 2.4GHz band got blown up by one of the lastest Netgear firmware updates and no clients would connect to the 2.4GHz band when manually set to channel 1. It worked fine previously.

Now it looks like the thing may have happened to the brand new R7800 I installed today after it ran for a few hours and then I updated the firmware to 1.0.0.40. I've downgraded to 1.0.0.28 but am having the same issues. I have a hunch that they broke something in these latest firmware updates that reverting to an older version doesn't fix.

I may have to jump back to Asus or at least pick one up and see if I have the same issues. I am going to try a factory reset from the unit itself and not connect any of my wired devices and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the help and sorry to semi-hi-jack your thread. I will probably start a new one.

y2jdmbfan, I checked and was not able to reproduce your issue. I am on 1.0.0.40 as well.

Either you have interference that's not from another AP, which you can confirm by testing another router or it could be a defective device.

y2jdmbfan, I checked and was not able to reproduce your issue. I am on 1.0.0.40 as well.

Either you have interference that's not from another AP, which can confirm by testing another router or it could be a defective device.

Checked the R7800 with inSSIDer running v1.0.0.40.

Set 2.4 GHz radio to CH 1 and inSSIDer shows CH 1 available.

Thanks for checking for me. So as a test, I brought both the R7000 or the new beta V1.0.6.40_1.1.90 RC firmware and R7800 flashed back to 1.0.0.28 to work today. Factory reset them both and then went in and the only thing I changed was the 2.4GHz to force channel 1. I did this and guess what they both work without issue.

I am guessing 2 things were at play here, initially the 2.4GHz on the R7000 got blown up by the bad Arlo firmware they released which caused instability and #2 there is something causing wifi interference on channel 1 in my house.

I plan to unplug all of the wireless devices tonight when I get home, I have a Sonos system, hard coded to channel 11 an then also an Xfinity Home Security system, which uses Zigbee devices, not sure if that could also potentially be causing the issues with Channel 1.

My network says private when I start the computer but then says I'm not on an active network. Thought this was windows at first but this didn't happen until I hooked up the router. My computer works fine and all my wireless connections are good. I have issues though downloading on my phone.
uploadfromtaptalk1458147653647.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1458147664299.jpg

Do you have any other devices you can test, ie., another laptop or tablet?

Do you have the same issue?

OK I went in the basement to my son's computer and he connects fine to the router and his active network is fine. I looked up my computer on his networks and I could not connect. Here is a picture which makes me believe it's a windows issue with workgroup or something. Although this did happen the same day I installed the router. Maybe one of you know better than me. I will try the Microsoft answer desk this weekend and see if a tech can figure it out for now before I continue down the router path.
uploadfromtaptalk1458253322276.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1458253349592.jpg

KITCHENCOMPUTER is spelled in lower case on my computer that's hard wired that says I'm not part of a connected network. Weird though because I never changed it .

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!