What's new

R7800, Is the VPN service "safe" to use?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I was just curious, as I know nothing about netgears implementation. Concerned there may be a known/previous weakness there before i expose my home network through its vpn feature :)

I was toying with using a raspberry pi as an openvpn box, but if netgears one is considered secure then it'd save me some hassle.

Up until recently, Netgear used MD5 for OpenVPN. Due to pressure, they upgraded their stuff to support SHA256. So running the latest firmware is advised when using VPN

Note however that using MD5 (or SHA1) for HMAC isn't a big deal (due to how HMACs work).

Not sure how up-to-date Netgear's OpenSSL and OpenVPN are however, might be worth looking at @Voxel 's build for increased security there.

OpenVPN 2.4.3 was released 2017.06.21

(Compared to
Voxel FW V1.0.2.53SF:

OpenSSL 1.0.2o 2018.03.27
OpenVPN 2.4.6 2018.04.24)

Been thinking of trying out voxels build, especially as it looks like the stock service doesn't allow you to change the keys even with a reset. That just seems completely reckless. I noticed in the readme for voxel the builds support swapping the keys, hopefully for a 2048 key over the 1024 bit netgear supply?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!