What's new

R7800 MU- MIMO and Samsung

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ebec

New Around Here
I had to switch off MU-MIMO on the R7800 to get 2X2 AC link sped on my Samsung galaxy S7 Edge (Exynos version). The maximum link speed I get with MU-MIMO “on” is 433 Mbps.

Now I get the expected link speed 866 Mbps on 5 Ghz but only 192 Mbps on 2.4 Ghz. I don’t know what link speed I should expect on 2.4 Ghz these days but I believe the phone is (should be) capable of both MU-MIMO and 400 Mbps (40 MHz bandwidth, QAM 256)

I guess the router will not do 2x2 or 3x3 on 2.4 Ghz because I have two other routers with 2.4 Ghz (single stream) forced to channel 1 and 6. The R7800 is on Auto (Chanel 13).

Any thoughts?

Test set it on chanel 11,
Is the Samsung galaxy S7 Edge a 1x1, 2x2 or 3x3 AC, or support MU-MIMO?
Do you measures against the Internet or a client on the network?
Wath is your ISP speed?
Do you have any MU-MIMO clients?
Is the other router SET as Router or Access points?
I have MU-MIMO OFF on my R7800 i dont have any MU-MIMO clients on my network yeat

Last edited:
MU-MIMO operates in 5 GHz only and downlink (router to device) only.

192 Mbps 2.4 GHz link rate is a puzzle. 2x2 QAM 256, 40 MHz B/W with SGI would be 400 Mbps. With 20 MHz B/W would be 173 Mbps.

Remember in crowded environments, router should support only 20 MHz B/W in 2.4 GHz

Test set it on chanel 11,
Is the Samsung galaxy S7 Edge a 1x1, 2x2 or 3x3 AC, or support MU-MIMO?
Do you measures against the Internet or a client on the network?
Wath is your ISP speed?
Do you have any MU-MIMO clients?
Is the other router SET as Router or Access points?
I have MU-MIMO OFF on my R7800 i dont have any MU-MIMO clients on my network yeat

Hard to find the exact specifications on these phones. This is from the specifications on Samsung.com/no Connectivity: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 2.4G+5GHz, VHT80 MU-MIMO. So it has to be 2x2 on 5 GHz as I get 866 Mbps link rate. Am I right then to assume that it also can do 2x2 on 2.4 GHz?

Regarding the router settings on 2.4G isn’t the 40 MHz channel-with disabled (automatically set to 20MHz) if I force Channel selection? And is it at all possible to achieve 2x2 as long as I have two other routers on 2.4 GHz nearby?

MU-MIMO operates in 5 GHz only and downlink (router to device) only.

192 Mbps 2.4 GHz link rate is a puzzle. 2x2 QAM 256, 40 MHz B/W with SGI would be 400 Mbps. With 20 MHz B/W would be 173 Mbps.

Remember in crowded environments, router should support only 20 MHz B/W in 2.4 GHz

Regarding the MU-MIMO it is strange that a device that is advertised to support this feature actually connects at half rate. What happens when I get another device with MU-MIMO? link speed of 216.5:)

Well no problem for now, I only have one device that suppose to do MU-MIMO

Hm… I also get 192 Mbps link rate when I set the 2.4 GHz Mode in router to “Up to 347 Mbps” instead of 800.

Hard to find the exact specifications on these phones. This is from the specifications on Samsung.com/no Connectivity: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 2.4G+5GHz, VHT80 MU-MIMO. So it has to be 2x2 on 5 GHz as I get 866 Mbps link rate. Am I right then to assume that it also can do 2x2 on 2.4 GHz?
That would be a reasonable assumption.

Regarding the router settings on 2.4G isn’t the 40 MHz channel-with disabled (automatically set to 20MHz) if I force Channel selection? And is it at all possible to achieve 2x2 as long as I have two other routers on 2.4 GHz nearby?
I don't think so. I think you can disable 20/40 MHz coexistence in advanced wireless settings. But I would not advise this.

Regarding the MU-MIMO it is strange that a device that is advertised to support this feature actually connects at half rate. What happens when I get another device with MU-MIMO? link speed of 216.5
It is possible that the phone falls back to 1x1 when connected to a MU-MIMO capable router / AP. You need two MU-MIMO devices at a minimum to get benefit from MU-MIMO, so disabling MU-MIMO on the router is the right thing to do for now. Link speed does not reduce further as more MU-MIMO devices are added.

Hm… I also get 192 Mbps link rate when I set the 2.4 GHz Mode in router to “Up to 347 Mbps” instead of 800.
I don't know where that is coming from. Link rates are commonly reported incorrectly. At any rate, I wouldn't stress about it. Useable throughput is what counts.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!