What's new

R7800 NiP Edition

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pege63

Very Senior Member
A NEW Edition off the "Nighthawk X4S" the NiP Edition is out there , Nighthawk X4S NiP Edition has a customized software developed with Ninjas in Pyjamas.
Nighthawk_X4S_NiP_Edition.jpg

Last edited:
Hey. This router is available in a store near me.
http://www.elgiganten.dk/product/pc...ghthawk-x4s-ac2600-nip-dual-band-wi-fi-router
Will there be a review of it? Is it worth the higher price over the standard router?

I have an R7800, and it's real nice. However, looking at the web page that you posted, I don't think that it's worth more than twice what the R7000 is worth. Given what I see there, I'd get the R7000, unless you have MU-MIMO devices or imminent plans to get them and need those benefits. Not too many of those clients around, and you don't see the benefits of MU-MIMO without MU-MIMO clients. Or lots of money that you don't know what to do with *smile*.

There already is a nice review of the R7800 on SmallNetBuilder, by the way. And a great competitive review of MU-MIMO routers, as well, if you're interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the answers. My current router is an Asus RT-AC87U. I have a very good internet connection,
5324153096.png

But I have problems with lag on my Playstation 4. I'm thinking about upgrading my router.
Not sure whether to buy the Netgear R7800 standard edition or the more expensive Ninjas in Pyjamas edition?
Is it worth the extra expense?
It´s a shame there won't be a test of the NiP version, anyone knows what the differences are?
Maybe it's only a marketing trick to pay more? :rolleyes:
Thank you and greetings.:)

Its the same Router Notably the same firmware that is used in NiP Edition model of the Nighthawk X4S is also used in the standard model of the Nighthawk X4S, also known as R7800.
NETGEAR Guy has confirmed this.

Thanks for link:

http://www.nordichardware.se/nyhete...r-nighthawk-x4s-lans-av-e-sportlaget-nip.html

"....Nighthawk X4S prioriterar spel efter NiP-optimeringar

I Nighthawk X4S NiP Edition har mjukvaran finslipats för att ge bästa möjliga prestanda för just spelare och prioritera trafik från spel för att sänka latenser och maximera spelupplevelsen. Exakt vad man förändrat och vilka skillnader det gör i reell användning återstår samtidigt att se..."

If I undertand this correctly, the only change is in the software, i.e. lower latency which helps gaming online?

I Nighthawk X4S NiP Edition har mjukvaran finslipats för att ge bästa möjliga prestanda för just spelare och prioritera trafik från spel för att sänka latenser och maximera spelupplevelsen. Exakt vad man förändrat och vilka skillnader det gör i reell användning återstår samtidigt att se...
Translation:
In Nighthawk X4S NiP Edition software has been refined to provide optimum performance for the right player and prioritize traffic from games to lower latencies and maximize the gaming experience. Exactly what changed and what differences it makes in real usage remains at the same time to see ...

NETGEAR Guy: this appears to contradict your information. Can you please check again?

But i the same time they say that the firmware thats is used in NiP Edition model of the Nighthawk X4S is also used in the standard model of the Nighthawk X4S. That just the box is different with the NIP Team on it and a NIP LOGO on the Router. If you ask me its just a sales trick! I dont think that Netgear makes 2 seperate FW for this router.

And today they set the price back to 2990:- SEK again, sorry.
https://www.netonnet.se/art/dator/natverk/routermodem/netgear-nighthawk-r7800/229566.8935/

Last edited:
But i the same time they say that the firmware thats is used in NiP Edition model of the Nighthawk X4S is also used in the standard model of the Nighthawk X4S. That just the box is different with the NIP Team on it and a NIP LOGO on the Router. If you ask me its just a sales trick! I dont think that Netgear makes 2 seperate FW for this router.

And today they set the price back to 2990:- SEK again, sorry.
https://www.netonnet.se/art/dator/natverk/routermodem/netgear-nighthawk-r7800/229566.8935/

The bootloader data can also be different. For starter it will include a specific region - definitely not US if the model isn't available outside of Nordic markets.

But when you do a FW update you are comming to the same page, same size, same time as Nighthawk X4S & NiP Edition thats strange?

But when you do a FW update you are comming to the same page, same size, same time as Nighthawk X4S & NiP Edition thats strange?

A firmware can be used with different bootloaders, as long the hardware itself is the same, and there's no special features that are specific to the firmware build.

Haven't you noticed anything different to date ? Does it make sense to overbuy (NIP Version)?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!