What's new

[R7800] Problem with Ethernet connections

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JWat9

New Around Here
Hello!
Maybe someone has some insight on this issue. I have a R7800 that has it's Ethernet ports stop working randomly. The wireless connections all function correctly when this happens, but all wired connections fail. I have checked the cabling (all at least Cat5e), current stock firmware, and can confirm all 4 ports have the same issue.
The LED's all function when this happens and do not indicate an issue. If i reboot the router, the issue is fixed. It may happen again the next day, or it might be 5-6 days before I have the issue. Is this something customer firmware could fix, is this a common problem, or is an RMA inevitable?

It's a known issue but no word from Netgear on a fix other than RMAing. Some people on the forums have not had the issue anymore after an RMA. Also try an alternate firmware to see if that fixes it. It hasn't been determined if it's a hardware or software issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I've had mine since beta test days, and haven't had this issue on any firmware nor did anyone I know. I suspect it could be a hardware issue due to a bad batch maybe since coolguy949 said it's an known issue. Try RMAing it.

Which firmware are you using now. The current firmware 1.0.2.28 have no such issue

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

I had been using the current firmware as well (the 2.28). I ended up returning the device to the store. Even though it was past their return time frame, they let me exchange for another one. So here's hoping for good luck on this unit (R7800).

I posted this on the wrong thread earlier. So, update on my new unit:
Day 1 of the new unit and the problem occurred. I guess i will start the process with Netgear. I was going through some old threads and noticed several people all had issues and xbox ones. I too have an Xbox One plugged in (with the always on mode). Is there any word of that actually being an issue?

Netgear doesn't really acknowledge it but there definitely has been a pattern. Have you tried Voxel's custom firmware? He's cleaned up some of the Netgear code. There's another thread in here with the latest build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

did you tried with a switch or directly to modem. It cant be 2 new units comes with bad ethernet connections.

I guess it could be bad xbox network cable

I would doubt its two duff units, although stranger things have happened. I purchased my R7800 on release and its been rock steady Ethernet wise, as mentioned have you tried a new Ethernet cable? That's very basic but always worth it. Also have you (I have not read the whole thread) updated to 1.0.2.28 and then done a hard reset before setting things up? Also it may be worth posting to @NETGEAR Guy as if there is a firmware issue with the switch maybe he can get Netgear to identify it.

When I had the R7800 new there was an issue with Apple products, straight out the box disconnecting and not reconnecting properly via wifi and it took a bit of pushing and shoving for the fault to get sorted but he was great in making sure Netgear found and sorted the issue out

So what's the update on this issue? Different unit? Custom firmware?

The only thing I have plugged in is my Xbox one S. Wifi does well but I prefer to have my Xbox directly connected to the unit.

You have to check if the xbox is having issue. Did you had a recent update. I believe resetting the xbox might works sometimes. May be if you have unlimited Internet connection you can do that. So restoring the games wont be a big deal as well downloading again via Wired helps you troubleshoot as tons' of GB needs to be re-downloaded.

It may not help on game's ping. But it might be worth try.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!