What's new

R7800 Slow Ethernet Performance with Windows 10

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Michael Gurtzweiler

New Around Here
My R7800 has TERRIBLE speedtest/comcast speedtest/fast.com with my Windows 10 PC hooked up via ethernet. It is connected at gigabit speeds to the router according to the router.
  • Macbook setting next to the PC hooked up via Wifi can cap out my 300Mbit connection on speedtest and fast.com.
  • Windows 10 PC a few rooms over hooked up to the 5GHZ channel caps out around 280Mbit.
  • Synology Diskstation wired into the router caps out the download.
  • Windows 10 PC wired to the router does 8-9Mbit down and caps out the 30mbit upload.
I have the latest firmware, QoS is off, Traffic Meter is disabled, have performed a factory reset after the latest firmware was installed. I've confirmed the terrible speeds via file downloads as well.

Any ideas?

So.. it was the cable.

This same cable with my other router does full gigabit speeds just fine, maybe the R7800 is more particular.

Thank you for making me try something I had ruled out :)

My R7800 has TERRIBLE speedtest/comcast speedtest/fast.com with my Windows 10 PC hooked up via ethernet. It is connected at gigabit speeds to the router according to the router.
  • Macbook setting next to the PC hooked up via Wifi can cap out my 300Mbit connection on speedtest and fast.com.
  • Windows 10 PC a few rooms over hooked up to the 5GHZ channel caps out around 280Mbit.
  • Windows 10 PC wired to the router does 8-9Mbit down and caps out the 30mbit upload.
I have the latest firmware, QoS is off, Traffic Meter is disabled, have performed a factory reset after the latest firmware was installed. I've confirmed the terrible speeds via file downloads as well.

Any ideas?

Any ideas?
Are you comparing it to other router? What is NIC in your PC? Looked into NIC advanced set up? Does NIC
have latest driver?

sometimes for getting above 200Mbps your pc should be capable of it. Anything above 20MB/s is overhead for cpu and high intensive for hdd. As its per/sec of write so better test the speed in Router QOS and see if the router first getting the speed in from ISP then see if it works for wireless devices closer. May be it coud be pc or

Second dont test via speedtest

Do the buffer float test via dslreports. its more easy way to test real speed apart from your rotuer speed test gives some reality speed.

sometimes for getting above 200Mbps your pc should be capable of it. Anything above 20MB/s is overhead for cpu and high intensive for hdd. As its per/sec of write so better test the speed in Router QOS and see if the router first getting the speed in from ISP then see if it works for wireless devices closer. May be it coud be pc or

Second dont test via speedtest

Do the buffer float test via dslreports. its more easy way to test real speed apart from your rotuer speed test gives some reality speed.

The new cable fixed it. I'm back to ~300Mbit/sec on all the different speed-test sites. I had just ruled out the cable before trying because it worked fine at gigabit speeds with my old POS router.

I know this is an older post, but I wanted to share one thing with any readers out there.

I had recently switched to an Orbi setup, coming from a pair of Asus RT-AC66R (one was in AP mode). Recently in the Orbi menus I noticed that the WAN port was only set to 100Mb. My previous Asus had linked at 1Gb. I was sure something was wrong with the Orbi. Despite having only 100/100 FIOS service it still bugged me.

Well, I too had a bad patch cable. There was a bad crimp on an RJ45 connector in the WAN side of the router; I could see it using a 10x eye loupe under a strong light. This cable was the final patch cord from an in-wall keystone to my router. The entire run from the FIOS ONT to that wall plate is probably ~60ft. The faulty patch cord was another 12ft of Cat6 cable. This was originally an off-the-shelf patch cable of some longer length, but years ago I had shortened it and crimped my own connector on it. After replacing that connector with a fresh one, the Orbi came up at 1Gb as expected.

Just goes to show.... There was nothing wrong with either router. But due to the bad cable, each one reacted differently. I was all ready to complain to Netgear. :eek:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!