What's new

RAID 1 using RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

utamav

Regular Contributor
I recently posted here because one of my drive died after a router upgrade. Fortunately most of my data was backed up on another drive.

This incident is making me think if there is anyway to use my router to configure RAID 1 setup with one drive connected to the USB3.0 port while the other to USB2.0 port.

erm - I would say no....

Consider a nice 2-bay NAS, and even then, RAID is not a backup...

Can you please explain what you mean by "RAID is not a backup"?

Because it isn't...

RAID0 - stripes between two disks
RAID1 - mirrors - which means changes on one affects the others.

There are other versions of RAID - but they require more than 2 disks - and even then, it's not about backups... everything on a RAID is realtime - just like on a single disk.

If you want to protect your data, you still need to back up the RAID...

Anyways - even if the kernel code allowed it - two USB drives on the USB2 and USB3 ports, would be limited to the USB2 bandwidth... which likely would not be a good thing, compared to a single USB3 drive and a reasonable backup plan to another disk on the USB2 port.

Raid is not a backup, what screws up your data on one drive, screws it on the second in real time!

If Your question is really: how can I keep my data safe from corruption/deletion then raid is not the answer.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

A RAID over USB would be the last thing I'd want to try, even less on a router with a weak CPU.

A RAID over USB would be the last thing I'd want to try, even less on a router with a weak CPU.

Just for kicks - did configure a couple of USB thumbdrives as a RAID0 with usb2 on a hub with mdadm - it can be done... however, just because it "can" doesn't mean it "should" be done.

Performance was worse actually than a single drive configuration... and it goes to what @RMerlin suggests above - mdadm is a software RAID controller - it's good, but it does take some CPU horsepower (and memory) to do it's thing.

4TB drives are fairly cheap these days as a single disk configuration - and over USB3, many do see acceptable, if not great performance.

A little tip - before upgrading firmware on any vendor's Router/AP that supports disk sharing, it's always best to stop the share and unmount the drive before upgrading firmware of the Router/AP.