What's new

RAM usage increasing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BeachGuy

Regular Contributor
I have the GT-AX6000 with Diversion, Skynet and unbound installed on a 32GB (2GB SWAP file reserved) stick. The RAM usage seems to increase over time. It started at 70% this morning and is up to 80% tonight (used 796MB, free 227MB, total 1024MB). I'm wondering if it's "unbound" as that's the last I installed. Do any of these programs leak memory or accumulate it? Should I increase SWAP file reserve? Or why is the RAM usage increasing (cache?)? And is there a way to manage it if it's something like cache? Thanks.

Last edited:
You can see the memory usage and running processes in ssh - run top command.

Don't worry, it won't eat your RAM. You wanted Unbound for the graphs, no?

Working as expected. Unbound does take more RAM, not a memory leak. You don't need to increase the swap file size. Recommended 2GB size is all you need.

"Unused RAM is wasted RAM" -- Mr. Spock, Commander of the Starship Enterprise, Season 2 Ep 44 "The Trouble With Tribbles" (c) 1967

Last edited:
Working as expected. Unbound does take more RAM, not a memory leak. You don't need to increase the swap file size. Recommended 2GB size is all you need.

Ok thanks. Was @ 55% this morning. Must increase and then release RAM.

Control the newly developed monitoring addiction and let the router do its thing. Your ISP doesn't care either if you monitor their network or not.

Don't look at @Viktor Jaep above with X amount of MON scripts in his signature. This guy developed uncontrollable and incurable scripting addiction. 🤭

Control the newly developed monitoring addiction and let the router do its thing. Your ISP doesn't care either if you monitor their network or not.

Don't look at @Viktor Jaep above with X amount of MON scripts in his signature. This guy developed uncontrollable and incurable scripting addiction. 🤭

Hey now... I'm making positive steps towards a full recovery -- one of them is even crossed out! ;)

one of them is even crossed out!

Not enough. Do this "New Asus RT-AX88U (Dev!)" and contact @BeachGuy for further assistance. All you need is SUNMON.

1710175514574.png

It was actually Sir David F. Attenborough and the lost RAM was found.

1710280813480.png

What happened to it after and how exactly it was used - I don't know.

What happened to it after and how exactly it was used - I don't know.

Well, I know! Read below!

Stardate 043395.02... From Commander Spock's personal logs:

In the vast expanse of space, where logic reigns supreme, the efficient allocation of resources is paramount for the successful operation of any starship. As the Science Officer aboard the Starship Enterprise, it is my duty to analyze and optimize all aspects of our vessel's functionality, including its computational infrastructure. From a logical standpoint, the assertion that "unused RAM is wasted RAM" resonates deeply with the principles of efficiency and resource management that guide our endeavors.

RAM, or Random Access Memory, serves as the neural pathways of our ship's computer systems, facilitating the swift retrieval and manipulation of data essential for navigation, analysis, and communication. However, to allow RAM to remain idle would be illogical, akin to hoarding precious dilithium crystals without harnessing their energy potential.

From a logical perspective, the efficient utilization of RAM aligns with the Vulcan principle of "IDIC" - Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations. Just as each member of our diverse crew contributes their unique skills and abilities to the collective success of our mission, so too should each byte of RAM be actively engaged in the computational tasks at hand. To leave RAM unutilized is to squander the infinite potential it holds for enhancing the efficiency and effectiveness of our ship's operations.

Moreover, the logical analysis dictates that unused RAM represents a missed opportunity for optimization and improvement. In a dynamic environment such as space exploration, where encounters with unknown phenomena and unforeseen challenges are commonplace, the ability to adapt and respond swiftly is paramount. By actively allocating available RAM to tasks and processes as needed, we can ensure the agility and responsiveness of our ship's systems, enabling us to navigate the complexities of the cosmos with precision and efficiency.

Furthermore, from a strategic standpoint, the efficient utilization of RAM confers a tactical advantage in our ongoing mission to explore strange new worlds and seek out new life forms. By maximizing the computational resources at our disposal, we can process data more rapidly, analyze sensor readings more comprehensively, and execute complex calculations with greater accuracy. In the ever-evolving landscape of space exploration, where split-second decisions can mean the difference between success and failure, the logical imperative of utilizing RAM to its fullest extent cannot be overstated.

In conclusion, from the logical perspective of a Vulcan aboard the Starship Enterprise, the assertion that "unused RAM is wasted RAM" holds true as a fundamental principle of efficiency and optimization. By actively engaging and allocating this critical resource to the tasks and processes that drive our mission forward, we embrace the spirit of logic and rationality that guides our endeavors. In the endless expanse of space, where the unknown beckons and the unexpected awaits, the efficient utilization of RAM serves not only as a practical necessity but as a testament to the enduring legacy of logic in the pursuit of knowledge and exploration.

I have a different theory about what may have happened to the lost RAM after it was found.

1710281982577.png