re-flash

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by bazzly, Feb 23, 2013.

1. bazzly

bazzly Occasional Visitor

So do the same rules apply for re-flash as DDwrt? 30-30-30? Or is it safe to just re-flash without doing a reset?
    I couldnt find anything...

2. Log in / Register to remove this ad

3. Zomby_Woof

Zomby_Woof New Around Here

I'm wondering the same thing, I'd like to try the Merlin firmware to see if I can resolve a connection problem with my two Apple Airport Express G routers.

4. joegreat

joegreat Very Senior Member

How to reset the Asus RT-N66U router?

Hi,

There is no 30-30-30 thing on the Asus RT-N66U device. :eek:

A reset (before and after flashing) is still a good idea if you come from or go to a different firmware or you do a firmware jump over multiple version.

On the DD-WRT wiki page for the RT-N66U the functionally of the hardware buttons explains the reset procedure:
    With kind regards
    Joe :cool:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  5. Zomby_Woof

Zomby_Woof New Around Here

A reset puts the router in recovery mode, is there anything else to do after its in this mode or do I just leave it.

6. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

See the Wiki in my signature, it has articles on flashing, flashing back, etc...

7. joegreat

joegreat Very Senior Member

Hi,

Do you have any specific need to go to the recovery mode?
    Nobody asked you to do so... :confused:

With kind regards
    Joe :cool:

PS.: In recovey mode you have to use Firmware Restoration Utility from Asus to install firmware.
    But again: You do not need to go down this route... :rolleyes:

8. RogerSC

RogerSC Very Senior Member

Using recovery mode is a good way to go if things go wrong the usual way. It has worked for me when a "normal" flash doesn't seem to work. I've also used it when I didn't want to bother worrying about whether a "normal" flash would work, since flashing from recovery mode using the Asus "Rescue" utility pretty nearly always works. Takes longer, but you only have to do it once *smile*.

9. bazzly

bazzly Occasional Visitor

Just as a heads up... I just reflashed my router, and it would not go on line what so ever. I was using the router as a local DNS server, once I turned it off I was able to get on line.

So if your running DNS locally and cant get online you may want to remove your settings......(Under LAN-DHCP-Server-DNS and WINS Server Setting)

I also found that even tho I had Persistent JFFS2 clicked off it is still enabled...