What's new

Re: Is $500 The New $300 For Routers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

flamaest

Regular Contributor
Answer: no, just no.

Based on every review that I have read, these router companies are pushing their latest wares, with minor updates, and doubling their prices to boot. The market will quickly show that this is unacceptable and prices will fall in line.

I would also not buy any new router that did not support an open source firmware.

My current router works just fine, if I really want high speeds, it's called rj45.

the costs are getting pretty high for what one gets...

AC1900 class seems to be the best bang for the buck at the moment, followed closely by the N300/N600 class (some amazing deals down there these days)

AC1900 class seems to be the best bang for the buck at the moment, followed closely by the N300/N600 class (some amazing deals down there these days)
Agree, as outlined in my footer: the best value for money you get from these two routers! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just What is happening to the NAS and Router Market is beyond me. But I think it is also this large sum of potential money that is driving the market. I am still hoping 802.11ax and the 60Ghz wireless tech would come faster.

What do you think the application is for 11ad / 60 GHz, given its limited range?

What do you think the application is for 11ad / 60 GHz, given its limited range?
Interconnecting future home theater components without confusing cables? Presumes the industry can agree on protocols. They almost have, for wired HDMI.
This is wireless USB rebooted, methinks.

Bluetooth in a router kind of seems pointless, considering most people put their router in some corner away from view, 802.11ah though, I imagine would be the potential 3rd radio that makes more sense.

Bluetooth in a router kind of seems pointless, considering most people put their router in some corner away from view, 802.11ah though, I imagine would be the potential 3rd radio that makes more sense.

The BTLE things I'm considering are not what folks would normally use BT for - think presence and Internet of Things event driven items...

Router is always on for the most part, let's make use of that...

BLE is for control via paired smartphone, a la Google OnHub. Getting rid of the HTTP server and admin GUI frees up flash space.

BLE is for control via paired smartphone, a la Google OnHub. Getting rid of the HTTP server and admin GUI frees up flash space.

That's part of it - but putting the AP as the connectivity hub for the smart home... using BT as presence detection is one thing that is pretty handy to have..

That's part of it - but putting the AP as the connectivity hub for the smart home... using BT as presence detection is one thing that is pretty handy to have..

No. Just no.

Needing another device to control/configure a device is not the way forward. No matter how 'cool' it might be.

No. Just no.

Needing another device to control/configure a device is not the way forward. No matter how 'cool' it might be.

Hehe... keeping in mind that you and I, and many others, probably are not the target market - there will be devices that appeal to folks like us, as long as people keep buying them.

Administering via HTTP/S and web browser requires a separate device, too.

Administering via HTTP/S and web browser requires a separate device, too.

Yes, but those devices (computers) we have. It is the reason we need routers for.

A smartphone is not a device. It is just an annoying toy. That if used with apps and such tracks the user really, really well.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!