What's new

Real World Performance compared to Charts

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

acfpt

New Around Here
Hello Everyone-

I have been reading and trying to absorb the incredible information to be found on this awesome site, but there is one thing that I have been unable to work out for myself.

I want to create a wireless file storage/backup system for a mac-centric home network. I have limited hardware already (phone company-provided wireless router/DSL modem) and a bunch of external hard drives. I am willing to invest in a dedicated NAS and then use one of the USB HDD as a backup to that NAS (no RAID necessary in the NAS)

With that background, here is my question- with the great variation in speed seen on the charts for read/write times, I know that my wireless connection will be my bottleneck. Is it even reasonable to use a wireless configuration for these functions (wired is not an option due to all laptops in the house that move around too much). If it is reasonable, what kind of real-world performance can I expect compared to the numbers seen on the charts?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Adam

An 802.11g wireless connection with a moderate signal level will typically provide ~ 10 Mbits/s of throughput, which is ~ 2 MBytes/s.

11n will provide perhaps ~ 50 Mbps or ~ 7 MB/s. Both are far below the
capabilities of any current design NAS.

It's possible to use NASes with a wireless connection. Whether it's reasonable depends on the sizes of the files you're moving and whether you expect to do video streaming.

Tim-

Thanks for the response. I now have a reasonable number to keep in mind. I may someday move things around to where I can be more hard-wired, so I would want a NAS that would be able to take advantage of that. Until that day, I just need something for Time Machine backups and storage of older digital photos that I don't need daily or even monthly access to. I know the initial Time Machine backups will take forever but then the incremental backups should take much less time. Any large files with frequent access (for Photoshop or iMovie) I would keep local or use a Firewire external HDD. The closest I would come to media streaming would be my iTunes library which is all music, no video.

Do you think I would be able to meet these requirements with a PogoPlug or the new Iomega iConnect?

Thanks again,

Adam

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!