What's new

Rec a new router? Multiple Linksys N300 failures out of box

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sick with Linksys or choose another brand?

• Dlink

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Netgear

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

comfortablynumb

Occasional Visitor
I bought a Linksys E900 to replace a flaky E800 that lasted 2 months...I bought the E900 from Amaozn the first when when I plugged it in the router made a buzzing/rattling sound, so I requested a replacement and then another replacement the last 2 when you plug them in the power supplies have a high pitched squeal to them. I've tried with both my Tripp Lite surge protector and to the wall and also a friends outlet even though my outlets are fine and it was the same thing.

My needs are relatively simple, so that's why I'm stick in the N150 - N300 class. I have 3 wireless devices at most connected at once. The most demanding device would be my Amazon FireTv stick. The laptops don't require a lot of heavy bandwidth just general surfing and the occasional youtube video.
My broadband connection is Cable 17mb down 1MB up, all wireless devices are N capable, I just want to plug something in and have it work. Maybe I need to go to a different online vendor with the luck I'm having on Amazon.

Try this one TP-LINK TL-WR841N Wireless N300 Home Router

Quick question - what's your budget? There's looking for value, and there's basically just being cheap... as you've observed directly, cheap perhaps has inconsistent quality...

Picking thru the bargain bin might not be the right option over time - there are good N300/N600 class devices out there, most under $100... so search for value... the best value I've found on the lower end recently, is the Airport Express if needs are simple enough - Apple might change $99, but search around, and you'll find them between $60-$80 with several merchants.

Quick question - what's your budget? There's looking for value, and there's basically just being cheap... as you've observed directly, cheap perhaps has inconsistent quality...

Picking thru the bargain bin might not be the right option over time - there are good N300/N600 class devices out there, most under $100... so search for value... the best value I've found on the lower end recently, is the Airport Express if needs are simple enough - Apple might change $99, but search around, and you'll find them between $60-$80 with several merchants.

Not trying to be cheap, I'd say around $60 would be budget. Not sure about the Airport Express I don't own a single Apple product. Chromebooks and Windows 7 PC's Being in my bedroom I don't want anything with too crazy of a wifi signal (like AC or dual band)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!