What's new

Recommendation between RT-AC86U or RT-AC88u/AC3100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shinimasu

New Around Here
Hello SmallNetBuilder,

I am looking for better coverage for 5ghz range in my home. I want to use an Asus router and tap into AiMesh. Currently, I am using RT-AC68U. I can buy the RT-AC86U for $200 or the RT-AC3100 for $200 or the RT-AC88U for $270. I was wondering which one of these would be better for future proof and have the best performance.

Thank you!

I agree with Klueless. RT-AC86U as your main router and 68U as your AiMesh node sounds like a solid combo. Just keep in mind, they are still working out the kinks in AiMesh. Check out that review Klueless linked to.

I'll add another vote for the 86U. It has an upgraded processor from the 3100/88U series. And just in case you weren't aware of it the 3100 and 88U are identical except for the extra 4 ethernet ports on the 88U.

@shinimasu, I'm in the exact same situation as you. I have an RT-AC68 right now and I'm looking to upgrade + add an AiMesh node. I had my eye set on the RT-AC88U, but based upon @doczenith1's testing I'm going to pickup an RT-AC86U. I'll miss those 4 extra LAN ports, but overall performance is more important to me.

I'll miss those 4 extra LAN ports, but overall performance is more important to me
Bonus; the 86U is cheaper. Use the money you save by buy a "dumb" 8 port switch and you'll still have enough change for a brew or two. (Get a four port switch if you're really thirsty.)

If I recall the last 4 or 5 ports on the 88U share 1Gb bandwidth together. So I don’t think you are losing much in terms with the 86U just get a switch for additional ports as others mentioned.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!