What's new

Recommendation for AiMesh setup with new AX86U (versus TP-Link Deco)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

madak

New Around Here
Hi Everyone, I just setup a new RT-AX86U in my office where we need 3 APs to cover. Additionally I setup 2 old Deco M4 units in AP mode (via wired backhaul) with the same SSID (2.4+5ghz) and am having issues with our Apple Watches which only use 2.4ghz dropping connectivity. On the Deco units I have no control over the channels.

Question - Assuming I'm on a budget and don't need AX everywhere (other than where the AX86U reaches) would I be better off getting a couple of older Asus routers that support AiMesh compared to the current setup (Asus + 2 Deco APs)? Pros/Cons? What do you recommend (I was thinking RT-AC68Us)? Thanks in advance

AC68U is good enough, i was running 3 AC68U for all my 3 Mesh point but I upgraded to AX88U for free when i recontract with my provider.

1632207206020.png

Welcome to the forums @madak.

How big is the office in SqFt? A single RT-AX86U can cover an exceptionally large area.

4x AP's may be 'too much Wi-Fi' in your office, for very little benefits.

Have you tried using the RT-AX86U on its own? Can you relocate it to a more central position within your office space to cover the area more easily?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!