What's new

Recommendation Needed - Wireless Router for PC and Surveillance Cam

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ultragc

Occasional Visitor
Hi All,

Want to get some recommendation on what wireless router to get. I am using Verizon FIOs and I currently using a DLink Dir-825 as my main wireless router. Given that I am looking into adding a few wireless surveillance cameras (2.5 ghz only), I figure a better router (or maybe just a more capable AP) is needed. So, I am turning to your guys for recommendations. By options are:

1. Get a new Wireless Router?
2. Retain the existing DIR-825 but get an Access Point instead. I am thinking about the "Ubiquiti Networks Unifi 802.11ac Dual-Radio PRO Access Point"?

I like to keep the budget under $200.

Appreciate any comments and suggestions.

Last edited:
Moving to an AC router should help. AC1200 class is fine. Check our rankings.

Keep in mind the cameras probably have 1x1 N radios. So the benefit of moving to an AC router is purely from a more powerful processor and improved packet handling in the newer chipsets.

Moving to an AC router should help. AC1200 class is fine. Check our rankings.

Keep in mind the cameras probably have 1x1 N radios. So the benefit of moving to an AC router is purely from a more powerful processor and improved packet handling in the newer chipsets.
Depends how far those cameras will be from the router.Outdoor? Indoor?

Thanks Tim & Tony,

The camera is for indoor in a 2 level 2,000 sq. ft. home. I am thinking of getting the Yi Home Camera 2. It supports only 2.4 Ghz band. At the moment, I am thinking of getting the Netgear R7000 or just the Ubiquti UAP-AC-PRO.

Thanks

Thanks Tim & Tony,

The camera is for indoor in a 2 level 2,000 sq. ft. home. I am thinking of getting the Yi Home Camera 2. It supports only 2.4 Ghz band. At the moment, I am thinking of getting the Netgear R7000 or just the Ubiquti UAP-AC-PRO.
Either of those routers should be fine.