What's new

Recommendation router and Modem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tim7777777

New Around Here
Hello I have two questions .

Do I need to replace my modem along with my router and suggestions if so.

My old router Is a N router so time for an upgradeWhat would be a good Ac router for novice to start with in the $80-hundred dollar range

My Modem is
The Touchstone DG1670 is a DOCSIS3.0 home data gateway supporting 16 x 4 channel bonding for up to 640Mbps of broadband data. It combines a 4-port gigabit router, MoCA 1.1 over coax, and a dual band 802.11n wireless access point.

I have 100 Mb line , kind of the usual set up

4 desktops
iPhones /androids wi fi
Three TVs streaming 2nd gen
Fire stick.

All three TVs are within 25 feet of the router same floor, pCs are connected by ethernet wires .

Any suggestions appreciated for a novice.

for $80 your options are 2x2 and 3x3 wifi AC routers. At that speed even mips based would suffice too. But if your ISP offers 640Mb/s and you plan to make use of it your options become a lot more limited.

Take a look at the 2x2 and 3x3 wifi AC routers from various brands (tp link, asus, netgear, synology and so on), pick ones that have the features you want and list them here and we can tell you if it is alright or not.
As for modem there isnt many options there.

Thank you for your help

That eliminates searching for a new modem, I didn't know what 2x2 and 3 x 3 was so I looked it up and I don't think I have any 3 antenna devices at this point .

If I understand correctly iPhone6 has a single antenna and the second generation fire stick and fire TV have dual antennas.

Of course probably better for the future to get 3 x 3 if all the other specs are the same .

from reading on this board the asus seems to be considered fairly stable not a lot of drops etc, I will keep my eyes open for a good sale and post back .

thanks again for your help

Do I need to replace my modem along with my router and suggestions if so.

My old router Is a N router so time for an upgradeWhat would be a good Ac router for novice to start with in the $80-hundred dollar range

All three TVs are within 25 feet of the router same floor, pCs are connected by ethernet wires

If things are working fine for you - stick with what you have - it's like good enough for what you have on a client basis...

That 80 bucks - take the spouse/partner out for a nice dinner ;)

Yeah I appreciated you guys clearing that up that I don't need a modem .

Our old system is really not working well in that our router is dropping quite a bit. It's an old piece of junk though wdn750. They don't even have support for it anymore

When I play my online game I usually get a drop per hour when connected to my router using ethernet cables

When ethernet connected to the modem it usually works fine maybe 80 to 90% of the time much more stable.

Spectrum said maybe the router wasn't bridge properly and is causing the drops ,so I may have to call them or post again after I buy the new router if it also is dropping.

anyways thanks for the suggestion and help

NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1750 Smart Dual Band WiFi Router (R6700)

With the $20 off coupon I can get above for $88

with that be a good fit?

802.11AC 2x2 routers are often overlooked, but they are very good bang-for-your-buck when it comes to modernizing your Wifi network. The vast majority of 802.11ac clients out there are only 2x2 anyway.

On the Asus side, that means the RT-AC1200G+, or the older RT-AC55U and RT-AC56U. Note however that the RT-AC1200 (not G+) is NOT gigabit, so you'll want to avoid that one in your case - the G+ version is the one you want.

You also have the RT-AC66U B1 cost the same here.

You also have the RT-AC66U B1 cost the same here.

That model is often close to the price of the RT-AC68U, so typically over 100$ USD.

You can get it here like this weekend for just 100 USD depends on witch online store you look at.
945 SEK and some times 1395 SEK (1 USD=9 SEK).

Last edited: