What's new

Recommendations for Backup Services

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ericnix

Occasional Visitor
I have a Synology RS815+ and RX415 with a total of 8 8TB hard disks. It's configured in a RAID1+0 configuration. Total usable space is about 27 TB.

Currently I'm only using about 2 TB of data (mainly Time Machine backups). My wife is starting a photography business and we plan to set things up so she will store her photos on the NAS.

I'm looking for an online backup option that the Synology would sync with in case we have a fire in our house or some other damage that knocks out the ability to recover data from the NAS.

I was looking at BackBlaze, but not sure if the costs are prohibitive when you get to 20+ TB of data (that will likely take several years, but I want that option there). HubiC seems more reasonable on their annual plan, but there is a 10TB limit.

Do you guys have any recommendations? I'm trying to balance cost, speed, and reliability. I would also like (but not require) an option to have any backup sent to me on a disk(s) in case my NAS fails.

Thanks!

I have a Synology RS815+ and RX415 with a total of 8 8TB hard disks. It's configured in a RAID1+0 configuration. Total usable space is about 27 TB.

Currently I'm only using about 2 TB of data (mainly Time Machine backups). My wife is starting a photography business and we plan to set things up so she will store her photos on the NAS.

I'm looking for an online backup option that the Synology would sync with in case we have a fire in our house or some other damage that knocks out the ability to recover data from the NAS.

I was looking at BackBlaze, but not sure if the costs are prohibitive when you get to 20+ TB of data (that will likely take several years, but I want that option there). HubiC seems more reasonable on their annual plan, but there is a 10TB limit.

Do you guys have any recommendations? I'm trying to balance cost, speed, and reliability. I would also like (but not require) an option to have any backup sent to me on a disk(s) in case my NAS fails.

Thanks!

I would not even consider the 'cloud' here.

Buy another NAS and use your brother's (etc.) residence as it's permanent home (backing up your main NAS, of course).

Thanks!

Take a look at idrive.com, it has everything you need, except for price.

Offline backups are also important too. A bunch of hard drives/SSDs to do the copy paste and stored offline in a safe is better for your sensitive data than using an online service. Its important that you do not backup your sensitive things online if you are a business.

To back up and sync your business data to online cloud is not a wise choice. Many third party backup tools support scheduled backup plan and incremental backup & differential backup as well. It's more convenient and safe. You can try Macrium, Aomei backupper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

I currently have an old synology 4 bay NAS.
2*4TB as RAID1
1*4TB no raid - used to routinely backup the RAID1

I then have 2 portable 4TB drives that I use to backup the contents of the NAS.

I currently have about 3TB of data of which about 2TB is my movie library. My movie library is probably the least important data so would not loose any sleep if I lost that part of my data.

All this data is off course stored in my house so means I could loose all if bugled or there was a fire.

I know the backups ideally need to be kept offsite e.g. at friends or relatives but I am not so sure I am keen on that idea since I would personally not like to be entrusted as a safe-keeper of someone else's data ..... so not sure I can impose/inflict what i am not ready to do on anyone else

My question is what is wrong with storage of sensitive data to an online storage such as amazon ...... . By sensitive I am referring to music library, pictures/ home video taken over the years, personal/company tax info etc

thanks

If that is the main/only backup of your sensitive data, the thing that is wrong is that it is not a backup in any sense of the word.

If an online storage provider was used as a third or forth line of backup, the only thing wrong would be the yearly fees, the slow upload and download speeds (they're throttled, per user) and the almost guaranteed fact that one day they will simply not be there.

Other than that? No problem. :)

When you ask a friend or relative to keep a (revolving) backup at their home for you, make sure they're not the only ones either. Ideally, two or more 'offsite' locations that are regularly rotated and updated should be used. As should the data be encrypted too.

They are not responsible for the data. Just responsible to have a few cubic inches of space for your external drive that is out of sight and out of reach (small children, pets, etc.).

Between those two options, I'd rather buy my friends a nice dinner once a month (or more) than give it to a company that will care about it's shareholders/bottom line before it gives a thought about your data loss. ;)