What's new

recommendations for netgear n600 wndr3400 upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

astropuppy

New Around Here
Currently have a N600 wndr3400 which seems taxed by many new wireless devices coming into our home over the last 3 years.

Assuming a new router will help the situation I am considering either a ASUS RT-AC68U or a NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 . I'm pretty neutral brand wise, viewing each of the above as a good value per smallnetbuilder.

Currently, a windows 10 box is used as a dvr tuner and dnla server. I am intrigued by the faster (usb) transfer times of more expensive routers. Our dlna demand is very low, typically one device playing music or video in the evening. Nobody is a online gamer and we have about 5Tb of content spinning in a usb3 enclosure backed up to the cloud daily.

That said I really do not want to stand up another box; NAS or otherwise to offload the work the existing (very old) server is handling. I'm looking into non-PC dvr solutions and evaluating options for dlna.

In short, is router attached usb storage with dlna a livable solution for our merger dnla needs; Recommendations?

I would the recommend Asus RT-AC1900P if you have a Best Buy access. It is the most recent and best incarnation of the RT-AC68U. The upgrades include a 75% faster dual core 1.4GHz processor, better components (like power amplifiers, etc.) and is still supported by RMerlin's excellent firmware (or the forks thereof).

NG on the other hand is running decade old code, is slow to upgrade firmware (even for security issues) and is very quick to drop support (i.e. no further firmware updates) compared to Asus' support history (the over 5 year old RT-N66U is still supported, for example).

You may get enough performance from your needs by using the router as a DLNA server via attached USB storage. But I would recommend against that as a 'plan' going forward, if you want to depend on access to your media as something that is more or less 'guaranteed'.

For mere music and video playback, something like a WD 'nas' (lowercase on purpose) would be more than sufficient and much more reliable, efficient and 'set and forget' than anything you could expect from a consumer router.

Thanks for the quick reply and insight L&LD.

Do you happen to know if a usb3 can be plugged into a traditional NAS; say a synology? I have stacks of sata drives and a 4 bay usb3 drive enclosure. Backups go to the cloud. If I lose a ota video or two, its no big deal. Private data is a another conversation, is never spinning unless in use and backed up offsite. a Asus RT-AC 1900P with a small nas is starting to look like money better spent.

Most NAS solutions (I'd say 'all' of the ones I know) do offer USB connections for external drives. However, none that I know of offer the ability to do anything with the data on those drives by other (attached) clients though (the idea is that the USB connection facilitates a method of backup of the NAS to the USB).

An RT-AC1900P with a QNAP or Synology NAS is a strong combination (better than the WD 'nas' I linked for you above). :)

Most NAS solutions (I'd say 'all' of the ones I know) do offer USB connections for external drives. However, none that I know of offer the ability to do anything with the data on those drives by other (attached) clients though (the idea is that the USB connection facilitates a method of backup of the NAS to the USB).

An RT-AC1900P with a QNAP or Synology NAS is a strong combination (better than the WD 'nas' I linked for you above). :)

I need to research QNAP, I believe it will run jriver, the server software I'm currently running. Thanks again.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!