What's new

Recommendations for USB/PCIe Wifi Adaper?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

calculon

Occasional Visitor
I have just built a new PC, and was hoping to use the 5GHz radio and the SSIDs that are associated with that 5GHz radio. I purchased this adapter to try and facilitate that. However, I noticed that even says it supports 5GHz channels, it can't pick up my SSID ending in _5Gz. So I went into the driver settings and told it to force the 5GHz radio, and yet it still connects straight to my 2.4 GHz SSID. So I created a new guest network on the 5GHz frequency, and it still couldn't pick it up.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a PCIe or USB adapter that actually properly supports 5GHz frequencies and is at least a wireless N/AC compatible? I don't really care about MU-MIMO (my router is an ASUS RT-N66U), but I might upgrade to an AC router over the next year or so.

What firmware are you using? What channels on that router? What location does the router think it's in? Are you using specified channels within your adaptor's range or are you using Auto (and the wrong country location)?

Are you using a single ssid for both bands? If so; use new and different ssid's (can both have the same password).

What firmware are you using? What channels on that router? What location does the router think it's in? Are you using specified channels within your adaptor's range or are you using Auto (and the wrong country location)?

Are you using a single ssid for both bands? If so; use new and different ssid's (can both have the same password).

Firmware is Merlin WRT - 380.58
For 2.4 it is set to Auto
For 5.0 it is set to 161
Thinks it is in the US
The adapter supports the following channels (see attached file)

Different SSIDs for the 2.4 and 5.0

My Macbook Pro, and Nexus 6P both are fully aware of the SSIDs that exist and can connect to them.

EDIT: I would also like to mention, that it is failing to stream TV shows over wireless which my phone, macbook and lenovo yoga can do without problem. Makes me think I got a somewhat crappy adapter or it is malfunctioning.

Attachments

• Reigions.PNG
    Reigions.PNG
    9.4 KB · Views: 629
Last edited:

the Archer T2UH is a single stream usb adapter in that it does 433M on 5 gig and 150M on 2.4 gig , you may find that the Archer T2UH doesnt actually support the higher 5 gig channels as is also the case with the T9E

but first try a few things

make sure the 5 gig Channel bandwidth is set for 20/40/80mhz , it needs to be set this way because the T2UH is 20mhz only

try using ch 149 instead of 161 as 161 can be problematic for some adapters

if the above doesnt work try setting the 5 gig Control Channel to the lower channels say ch 44 and see if the adapter see's the transmission then

Makes me think I got a somewhat crappy adapter or it is malfunctioning.

its certainly not the best of adapters and for sure if you built a new pc and have a spare pce slot available i would recommend you look at a far better solution in the asus pce-ac68 or the like

Having tried both channel 149 and 44, the adapter still fails to recognize the 5GHz SSID.

I already filed a return with Amazon for the product since it can't see any 5GHz transmission, I have my macbook pro sitting next to the desktop, and it can see them perfectly fine.

Yeah I saw that adapter, and wanted it, but didn't want to spend ~95 dollars (for new) on one.

calculon, another thing to check is the ssid itself. Is it all alphanumeric characters with no spaces, underscores or slashes (for example)?

If that also doesn't work, then it may very well be a dud example. Either try another (same model) or one from a different manufacturer, if you don't want to spend too much time on this via RMA's.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!