What's new

RED LIGHT - New RT-AX88U Pro - can connect to Modem via WAN port (stays red)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tallship

New Around Here
I've seen a few threads here, some ancient, a couple just a month ago.

Here's the scenario:

* Brand New RT AX88U Pro
The WAN port link indicator light stays RED when booting or plugging in the RJ-45 into the WAN port that leads to the cable company's cable modem (CPE, if you will).

* What I've done to circumvent this with a kludge...

1. ) I wanted to clone the MAC addy of the LinkSys WRT3200 ACM but it's not in **Any** of the GUI's screens.. How can I get this info?
2. ) I've drained the battery on the modem, disconnected everything and even let it warm up for ten mins before connecting it to the AX88U Pro and then turning on the ASUS router - no joy - still red on the WAN port. Still no Joy...
3. )
When daisy chaining from the Lynksys Fast Ethernet LAN ports to the ASUS AX88U Pro's WAN port - Boom Shakalaka! Oh Happy day - so it's obviously not the ASUS Router. I can connect to the WiFi SSIDs I createdon the ASUS from, for example, my Android device, and now the ASUS router gets an IP, etc., from the DHCP server of the LinkSys router I'm trying to replace. I checked the Lynksys - it uses DHCP as a client itself - NOT PPoE.
* Two things come to mind (the ISP is Cox Cable):

1. ) clone the existing MAC of the Linksys to the ASUS router - once again, nowhere can I see that info in the Linksys admin area,
any ideas on how to use Curl or something to ascertain what that MAC address is? ad

2. ) Any ideas on whether I should contact the ISP to let them know I'm changing routers?

3. ) Any other advice you can offer?

Thank you in advance, for any and all assistance in this matter that is received :)

Kindest regards,

#tallship

⛵

I wanted to clone the MAC addy of the LinkSys WRT3200 ACM but it's not in **Any** of the GUI's screens.. How can I get this info?

clone the existing MAC of the Linksys to the ASUS router - once again, nowhere can I see that info in the Linksys admin area, any ideas on how to use Curl or something to ascertain what that MAC address is? ad
Most network equipment will list the MAC address on the bottom of the unit on a sticker. For example on the WRT3200 ACM its listed on the bottom of the unit:

linksys-wrt3200acm-22-1.jpg

And on the Asus router one can clone that MAC address on/in the GUI's WAN > Internet Connection > Special Requirements from the ISP section:
[Wireless Router] How to set up MAC Clone on ASUS router?

Edit to add: Usually however if one disconnects the old router for a long enough period of time before connecting the new router the ISP will cycle the line or account and pickup the new router's MAC address rather than the old router. If you haven't done so already, disconnect the ISP connection and leave it off/disconnected for at least a half an hour. Then try connecting to the new router. Sometimes (in years past) when using certain ISP's one would have to call that ISP's tech support to have them cycle the line from their end.

Last edited:
@tallship, I cannot read your post. I'm using 'dark mode' for this site.

I suggest you don't change fonts/color if you want your messages readable by all.

I noticed your post and wanted to mention that I'd purchased a one year old AX-68U on Ebay which had the same problem and after chatting with support, it was shipped to the repair center. After inspecting it, they shipped me a factory sealed unit to replace and stated the WAN port was bad. You might want to chat with support. Regardless I hope you get it fixed.

@bennor , @jontalk ,

Thank you for the suggestions. A couple of things...

* First, I cloned the MAC - at first, still no joy, but then, for whatever reason, I had to stand the unit on it's edge and the WAN port light turned white (normal indication). I laid it flat, it turned red again. upright on it's side, white... I plugged the cable into the old router and moved it around - no problems. I changed the cable, same issue.

* So I placed the unit on the shelf up by the ceiling, moved the cable around to where I had no issue, and left it that way.

Two things:

1. ) I'm not happy with having to clone the MAC, Powering off the modem for over a half hour on two occasions didn't work. It's not the ISPs concern when I want to switch out my equipment, but that's another story.
2. Aside from that solution, it appears my unit may have that same defective WAN Port issue, I'm considering buying a second unit and returning the first since I'm not keen on being without a router (or depending on the old Linksys which was running really hot and dropping / locking out devices randomly, requiring reboots).

Thanks for the suggestions, especially the second one, because we always want to refuse the notion that it's a hardware issue when it's brand new hardware, lolz.

You can haz #Cheezburgerz! 🍔

#AX88U

@bennor , @jontalk ,

Thank you for the suggestions. A couple of things...

* First, I cloned the MAC - at first, still no joy, but then, for whatever reason, I had to stand the unit on it's edge and the WAN port light turned white (normal indication). I laid it flat, it turned red again. upright on it's side, white... I plugged the cable into the old router and moved it around - no problems. I changed the cable, same issue.

* So I placed the unit on the shelf up by the ceiling, moved the cable around to where I had no issue, and left it that way.

Two things:

1. ) I'm not happy with having to clone the MAC, Powering off the modem for over a half hour on two occasions didn't work. It's not the ISPs concern when I want to switch out my equipment, but that's another story.
2. Aside from that solution, it appears my unit may have that same defective WAN Port issue, I'm considering buying a second unit and returning the first since I'm not keen on being without a router (or depending on the old Linksys which was running really hot and dropping / locking out devices randomly, requiring reboots).

Thanks for the suggestions, especially the second one, because we always want to refuse the notion that it's a hardware issue when it's brand new hardware, lolz.

You can haz #Cheezburgerz! 🍔

#AX88U
My pleasure though its clear you haven't solved it yet. I always keep a back up router (AC68P) so it might be worth it to do a troubleshooting session with support and let them decide if its defective. IF they do feel it is, I'd recommend you request a NEW rather than refurbished unit especially since you just got yours. Regardless, the best of success!

I'm having this exact same issue. Brand new RT AX88U Pro and the WAN port refuses to recognize any cable is plugged in. I tried about 8 different cables of different types (Cat 5e, Cat 6, Cat 6a and Cat 6e) After a few hours of messing with it I finally put it into Dual WAN mode and got it to connect via the LAN 1 port, but the WAN port is still not working. So I figured I must have defective hardware and ordered another router.

New one arrived, I set it up and... Exact same issue.

I've tried tipping it on it's side as you mentioned (not that that's really a solution) but nothing changes. Did you ever figure this out?

I've seen a few threads here, some ancient, a couple just a month ago.

Here's the scenario:

* Brand New RT AX88U Pro
The WAN port link indicator light stays RED when booting or plugging in the RJ-45 into the WAN port that leads to the cable company's cable modem (CPE, if you will).

Disconnect everything from the modem and do a reset on the modem itself - it should learn the new CPE address once it's done its reset...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!