What's new

[Release] AB-Solution 3 - The Ad Blocking Solution

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelonelycoder

Part of the Furniture
AB-Solution 3.6.5 is now available.

Please check the AB-Solution website for latest version and discussion link.

Welcome
This is AB-Solution 3
The Ad Blocking Solution

Release notes v3, Nov 04 2016
Too many to list. The highlights:
- Send weekly or current stats by email (ws), (cs). gmail account without 2FA required
- Total, weekly and new ads counter, counts ads when starting AB-Solution
- Five UI theme colors to choose from
- Option to install or use existing Entware and pixelserv-tls to block https ads, seamless integration
Note: For technical reasons, this version features no install/update log function.

Credits:
Thank you to all contributors, in whichever form you did.
A very special Thank You goes to the v3 test team:
@rotorbudd, @shooter40sw, @visortgw, @cybrnook, @elorimer, @GDT, @tomsk

Screenshot v3, Main Menu, pixelserv-tls installed, ads counter counted ads:

yZ0iFXH.png

If you like AB-Solution and find it useful, you may help it's further development by contributing.
See the About page on the AB-Solution Website.

Last edited:
I used Curl to update as the CU didn't show the update yet.

I Bow to your scripting FOO Jedi Master :D
I've written Perl, bash, windows bat, etc... and haven't seen anything this complex in bash in a LONG time, not would I have the patience to do this in bash.

I used Curl to update as the CU didn't show the update yet.

I've written Perl, bash, windows bat, etc... and haven't seen anything this complex in bash in a LONG time, not would I have the patience to do this in bash.
Thanks for reporting the (cu) problem, it is clear to me why. Be fixed in a minute.

Great news! Already updated. Had to uninstall v2 as well since CU did not show the update but everything smooth so far.

Just a comment: I saw it gave me a warning about the script not working with DNS Parental Settings on which I understand, but there's an scenario (mine) where it does work: if you set up the router as the forced DNS ;-)

My ad-free eyes thank you a lot!!!

One question though as I'm new to pixelserv. Do I need to install a cert in my browser/os for it to run properly?
I have not experienced any problems at all in Firefox (main browser) and Chrome ever since I started coding and using AB-Solution with pixelserv-tls. No certs are imported in any of the devices in my LAN.

Hi folks. I'm just curious. How many of you running this block ads on SNBForums and SmallNetBuilder?

upgrade through 'cu' was good but installing pixelserv was not ok

I'm using entware-ng with the following path (R7000)
Code:
ln -s /tmp/mnt/opt/entware-ng.arm /tmp/opt

I allready have a running pixelserv setup
Code:
/opt/etc/init.d/S80pixelserv-tls   

====
#!/bin/sh

#export TZ=$(cat /etc/TZ)
ENABLED=yes
PROCS=pixelserv-tls
ARGS="192.168.1.100 -l -p 80 -p 8080 -k 443 -k 2443 -u admin"
PREARGS=""
DESC=$PROCS
PATH=/opt/sbin:/opt/bin:/opt/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

. /opt/etc/init.d/rc.func

should I just enter the IP manually in the ab-solution configuration ?

Hi folks. I'm just curious. How many of you running this block ads on SNBForums and SmallNetBuilder?
Following hosts whitelisted as part of the install... i haven't removed any...
Code:
1: ## Please support SmallNetBuilder.com by leaving these in the whitelist. Thanks.
2: ## Run [p] to process changes into hosts-adblock file.
3: ## Add whitelisted Domains in the same format as these:
4: vma.tgdaily.net
5: tgdaily.net
6: assets.omidoo.com
7: z-na.amazon-adsystem.com
8: servedby.flashtalking.com
9: flashtalking.com
10: ad2.netshelter.net

upgrade through 'cu' was good but installing pixelserv was not ok
Just as I stated in the release post, only entware and entware-ng named dirs are supported. Do not ask for a reason, I have many.
ln -s /tmp/mnt/opt/entware-ng.arm /tmp/opt
Just rename the directory to a sane name such as entware or entware-ng. Then edit /jffs/scripts/post-mount entry accordingly.
Reboot and AB-Solution will be happy to embrace your Entware and place a @kvik recommended optimized S80 for you.

Thanks! It's an exercise in patience, endurance, pure will power. And fun to do too.
A bearded and experienced UNIX guy wrote in some forum post that any shell script file above 200 lines is not recommended.
ab-solution alone has beyond 3500 lines. I have not counted the lines in the addon files...

Meh i asked seemed like the appropriate thing to do but tnx for answering
You do it first, I'll be happy to copy/paste code if it works.

Just as I stated in the release post, only entware and entware-ng named dirs are supported. Do not ask for a reason, I have many.

Just rename the directory to a sane name such as entware or entware-ng. Then edit /jffs/scripts/post-mount entry accordingly.
Reboot and AB-Solution will be happy to embrace your Entware and place a @kvik recommended optimized S80 for you.

renamed the entware folder did the trick, had also to adjust some of my scripts internally, other than that no issue

Last edited:
while I'm thinking about it I hope everyone who is using ab-solutions will consider going to thelonlycoders website and kicking in a little something thru paypal. You wouldn't believe the amount of work that he put into this project.
As nitro001 said he's the "scripting FOO Jedi Master", and he deserves some recognition.

Following hosts whitelisted as part of the install... i haven't removed any...
Code:
1: ## Please support SmallNetBuilder.com by leaving these in the whitelist. Thanks.
2: ## Run [p] to process changes into hosts-adblock file.
3: ## Add whitelisted Domains in the same format as these:
4: vma.tgdaily.net
5: tgdaily.net
6: assets.omidoo.com
7: z-na.amazon-adsystem.com
8: servedby.flashtalking.com
9: flashtalking.com
10: ad2.netshelter.net
Good to see my hand knitted edit function in passive action.

Status
Not open for further replies.