What's new

[Release] AB-Solution 3 - The Ad Blocking Solution

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@thelonelycoder I know AB Solutions is not the problem of DNS leak, but to have it work with my vpn binding I have the problem of DNS leak. What I intended was to see if it was possible to have both of them work simultaneously because as we all know today our privacy is very threatening and this worries me, so I'm insisting on the issue, because if we managed to put the Two running simultaneously without compromising security was great for me and a few other users who wanted the same level of protection.

I know that this work is ungrateful and I apologize for the way I responded to the little, and even made my donation for you as I intended.

If there is really nothing else that can be done to have both of them work simultaneously and without loss of security I will have to surrender to just one or try another solution.

It was not my intention to question your project, so I think the same should continue.

Enviado do meu iPad usando o Tapatalk
This might be of interest to you:
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/beta-dnscrypt-installer-for-asuswrt.36071/

We're talking Asus here, as this is the forum for it.
I do not want to belittle Pi-Hole, its developer made a great piece of software for all those owning a Raspberry.
But on a direct comparison and if you have the hardware available -- see my previous post...

Pi-Hole is a pretty decent solution - and it doesn't have to run on a Pi... that app is more than just ad blocking, it's also a decent caching DNS server, and on a Pi3, it works very nicely as a caching DNS (along with the ad-blocks)

There are benefits to having a belt and suspenders approach here...

Pi-Hole is a pretty decent solution - and it doesn't have to run on a Pi... that app is more than just ad blocking, it's also a decent caching DNS server, and on a Pi3, it works very nicely as a caching DNS (along with the ad-blocks)

And perhaps we can take this into another thread outside of the solution thread here...

One of the benefits of the Pi-Hole app is the log - /var/log/pihole.log - toss that into rsyslog over to a syslog host, and then one can do some very nice analysis on this using elastic search...

And perhaps we can take this into another thread outside of the solution thread here...

One of the benefits of the Pi-Hole app is the log - /var/log/pihole.log - toss that into rsyslog over to a syslog host, and then one can do some very nice analysis on this using elastic search...
It's a Dnsmasq log file, no difference to AB.

There are benefits to having a belt and suspenders approach here...
I agree with you on the last sentence, but without the router, no internet. In most cases.
As for the caching, it's done trough Dnsmasq, just add the cache size to one of the config files in jffs and it's the same.

I just found a new feature request for the new AB :)
Integrate the option to enable/set DNS-cache in the menu
Haha, already in the list for the new addon I'm thinking about: settings.add
Dnsmasq and samba settings, like sharing a full disk instead of folders only. Stuff like that.

Any way to block ads by string in http link just like what Adblock Plus add-on does? It seems to me that some ads just wont be blocked by hosts.

updated by adding ...in http link...

Last edited:
Any way to block ads by string just like what Adblock Plus add-on does? It seems to me that some ads just wont be blocked by hosts.
Think of it: Inspecting all traffic packets that go through your router. Decipher and scanning every datagram for keywords. Remind you of something?

AB-Solution is 100% swiss made, solely by me, as a hobby coding project of mine, and is not influenced by, paid by or infiltrated by certain powers I won't name here that have huge server farms to perform such tasks.

Theoretically, privoxy could be used. But to do that for all devices, your router would need a lot more processing power.
See here: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/how-to-adblock-plus-filters-right-on-router.9449/

Last edited:
Think of it: Inspecting all traffic packets that go through your router. Decipher and scanning every datagram for keywords. Remind you of something?

DPI takes a lot of resources - it's hard stuff, but throw a lot of HW at it - but that amount of HW is more than most could afford...

Some vendors might claim to do DPI on a dual ARM Cortex-A9, but it's mostly just applying blacklists looking at packet headers, and not digging deeper into the packets.

Having been there, done that with a vendor - Sandvine...

AB-Solution is 100% swiss made, solely by me, as a hobby coding project of mine, and is not influenced by, paid by or infiltrated by certain powers I won't name here that have huge server farms to perform such tasks.

Ever think about making something like this more portable and not locked into a single platform?

DPI takes a lot of resources - it's hard stuff, but throw a lot of HW at it - but that amount of HW is more than most could afford...

Some vendors might claim to do DPI on a dual ARM Cortex-A9, but it's mostly just applying blacklists looking at packet headers, and not digging deeper into the packets.

Having been there, done that with a vendor - Sandvine...

Ever think about making something like this more portable and not locked into a single platform?
I edited my post to reference privoxy.

As for the port to other alternative router firmware: See my username. Development of AB3 took nearly three months of my spare time. At the moment, I have simply no energy to port it and support another platform.
And no, I'd rather be the sole dev than hand it over or collaborate in a team. I reference my username again. For reasons.

Totally agree with that. I wasn't clear enough though. I just want a method to block ads by string in http link (maybe https as well), rather than in the whole contents. For instance, block http://adserver.wenxuecity.com/201606/160-90_falong.gif
by the string "/adserver."

This task might not need a lot of computing power because if I can apply 5-10 strings, then 90% of ads will be blocked for my browsing habit. YMMV though.

Theoretically, privoxy could be used. But to do that for all devices, your router would need a lot more processing power.
See here: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/how-to-adblock-plus-filters-right-on-router.9449/

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm aware of that method, but I don't quite like it because it seems I have to set proxy on each device, doesn't it?
It's done through iptables rule(s) on the router, all port 80 traffic is piped through the privoxy (port) for the chosen devices. I'm not sure it will or ever can handle https traffic.

Can I use AB-Solution 3 together with privoxy method?
I have not used it for a long time. I did run it for a while with the predecessor (manual scripts) of AB.
They may work side by side, but have no way to share anything between them. Nor have I any plans to do so.

If I remember correctly, Trend Micro's DPI engine looks at the 14 first bytes of the data connection (I might remember that number wrong tho). That's generally enough to identify a type of traffic, combined with the packet header.

This task might not need a lot of computing power because if I can apply 5-10 strings, then 90% of ads will be blocked for my browsing habit. YMMV though.
It would not matter much for how many strings the filtering is used for, inspecting the web data and dropping positive results is the hard work (apart from coding the actual procedure).

Status
Not open for further replies.