What's new

[Release] AB-Solution 3 - The Ad Blocking Solution

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technically, from the output you posted, everything seems to work.
Try this, don't leave the AB-Solution UI to do it:
Edit /adblocking/.config/ab-solution.cfg as such:
pixelserv="1"
psInstallState="6"
psState="on"
entware="1"
entwareState="on"
prevPsState=""
psLoggingState="off"

Then run option (11). It should be green all over.

pixelserv-tls is not running

I'm stuck here as well. Uninstalled entware and ab-solution /formatted jffs twice.

What / how do you mean not to leave ab-solution GUI (putty ssh) and edit ab-solution.cfg? Specifically, psInstallState="5" to "6" ? I'm a noob to this pixelservr-tls stuff on a router, but want to test it.

I'm stuck here as well. Uninstalled entware and ab-solution /formatted jffs twice.

What / how do you mean not to leave ab-solution GUI (putty ssh) and edit ab-solution.cfg? Specifically, psInstallState="5" to "6" ? I'm a noob to this pixelservr-tls stuff on a router, but want to test it.
Wait with the install until I release the update of the pixelserv addon, I'll try to release it asap.
What router model and exact firmware are you running?

Sorry.....sometime people forget that option is there since it's not used too often.
I meant it more like: People DON'T read the wiki or manuals. I know you, myself and some others actually do...

If you are still running fw 380.62 (merlin or hggomes) as your post history shows, then I got it nailed down. Please tell me you do...

@thelonelycoder in syslog I see

Code:
Dec  1 18:20:01 crond[246]: user admin: parse error at /tmp/mnt/AB/adblocking/addon/update-hosts.add

Is this alarming?

Cheers,
What WebUI language is set on this router?
And was the update day set to Sunday when you got that error?

If you are still running fw 380.62 (merlin or hggomes) as your post history shows, then I got it nailed down. Please tell me you do...

Hi, I'm running 380.63_2(merlin) on a AC66U. I'll wait and see what you can find. BTW.......thanks for the ab-solution script!

Last edited:
Hi, I'm running 380.63_2(merlin) on a AC66U. I'll wait and see what you can find. BTW.......thanks for the ab-solution script!
You're welcome!
Hi, I'm running 380.63_2(merlin) on a AC66U. I'll wait and see what you can find.
What I feared, but I believe I got it nailed down.
Meanwhile, you can install AB, just not (ps) yet, it would help me if it works when the update for the addon is released.

Why is USB required? Can i just use onboard storage? Isnt that faster than some USB key?
I guess it is because there is DNSMasq(not sure if this is the right name or not) logging function which requires larger storage than what the router has. Right now, AB-Solution files are about 110MB about the size of router' flash storage already.

I guess it is because there is DNSMasq(not sure if this is the right name or not) logging function which requires larger storage than what the router has. Right now, AB-Solution files are about 110MB about the size of router' flash storage already.
/dev/sda2 12.3G 63.7M 11.6G and that is with list with 120k host files. I guess you are right.

It would be nice to have some type of performance numbers. USB2.0 vs USB 3.0 vs USB SSD? How many transaction per second can this list handle

/dev/sda2 12.3G 63.7M 11.6G and that is with list with 120k host files. I guess you are right.
I'm using Standard Host file which is not too large, so my file is just about that size right now.

It would be nice to have some type of performance numbers. USB2.0 vs USB 3.0 vs USB SSD? How many transaction per second can this list handle
I can't find how many transaction per second, but 4K read/write/mixed speed can help you choosing your USB. Here is the link to compare USB Flash Drives: http://usb.userbenchmark.com/Compare/SanDisk-Extreme-USB-30-16GB-vs-Group-/1301vs10
Note that this compare charts show peak performance, so I suggest you search each individual flash drive using search tool in that website as it will shows average speed as well. I used to use extremely old 2GB Kingston flash drive which caused about 2-3seconds slowdown when loading webpage, but I was not sure if it is related to that USB or some errors. I am happy with Sandisk Ultra USB 3.0 for AB-Solution as it doesn't cause much, and speed is enough.

Why is USB required? Can i just use onboard storage? Isnt that faster than some USB key?
Look at what AB can do for you, it would fill up the jffs partition in no time.
Apart from that, the blocking files are read into memory by dnsmasq. Performance may only drop if logging is enabled and you have an insane dns traffic volume on your router. But even that is not very likely to affect it as dnsmasq buffers these writes if it is busy doing other stuff.

For users installing this on 380.64 Beta, the (ps) install might report at the end:
Code:
pixelserv-tls is not running.
Just run (ps) again until it reports
Code:
pixelserv-tls installed, configured
and running
This is the same timeout that has been reported several times in this thread.
The upcoming update of the pixelserv-tls.add addon will have no such error.

For users installing this on 380.64 Beta, the (ps) install might report at the end:
Code:
pixelserv-tls is not running.
Just run (ps) again until it reports
Code:
pixelserv-tls installed, configured
and running
This is the same timeout that has been reported several times in this thread.
The upcoming update of the pixelserv-tls.add addon will have no such error.
what is the root of the problem actually?... we never saw this in early testing..

what is the root of the problem actually?... we never saw this in early testing..
Busy router/slow registering of the virtual interface. The test ping times out and throws the error.
Welcome back btw...

Busy router/slow registering of the virtual interface. The test ping times out and throws the error.
Welcome back btw...
Ah ok got it....so thats why you specifically mention the error on install. 380.64 is particularly prone to this problem? Is the fix a matter of delaying the test ping to make sure the interface is up...or is there more to it than that?

Ah ok got it....so thats why you specifically mention the error on install. 380.64 is particularly prone to this problem? Is the fix a matter of delaying the test ping to make sure the interface is up...or is there more to it than that?
The real cause in some fw builds is still a mystery to me. All major fw (RMerlin, john9527 and hggomes) are actually affected, some more, some less.

That's not a problem, more a timing conflict as a lot happens during install of (ps) in a short time.
The fix is a 2 second sleep before these ping tests. Also, the switches for wget, curl and ping are much simplified in all scripts when I releasee the updates, to get rid of some other errors reported in updated binaries, be it fw or Entware.

The fix is a 2 second sleep before these ping tests. Also, the switches for wget, curl and ping are much simplified in all scripts when I releasee the updates, to get rid of some other errors reported in updated binaries, be it fw or Entware
Nice.... i guess its a case of "less is more" for the simplified switches. I've always been an admirer of elegant coding, and as a general rule of thumb..the simpler you can make things, the more robust they are likely to be. its a credit to your skills that AB3 works so well across so many devices and firmware versions.

Also, to add to my above post: The same ping test happens early on when calling (ps) for the first time. It never seems to fail at this point, but does right after the intensive install of Entware and pixelserv-tls. Hence my belief it is a timing issue and not caused by some other error.

Nice.... i guess its a case of "less is more" for the simplified switches. I've always been an admirer of elegant coding, and as a general rule of thumb..the simpler you can make things, the more robust they are likely to be. its a credit to your skills that AB3 works so well across so many devices and firmware versions.
I get better at shell scripting with every release. AB3 has seen a lot of code improvement compared to AB1.07.
Thanks for the praise, i am probably the proudest of all having no major error in the AB3 release. A feat I was only able to achieve with the help of you and the other testers in the team. So, credit goes to to you all as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.