What's new

[Release] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.62_1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

"null cipher specified, no encryption will be used"
Use AES-256-CBC or AES-128-CBC depends what your vpn-provider use. I dont know what Wtv VPN provider is.
Encryption Cipher: pull down list.

Last edited:
Oct 18 10:23:18 rc_service: httpd 440:notify_rc start_vpnclient1
Oct 18 10:23:18 kernel: tun: Universal TUN/TAP device driver, 1.6
Oct 18 10:23:18 kernel: tun: (C) 1999-2004 Max Krasnyansky <maxk@qualcomm.com>
Oct 18 10:23:19 openvpn[14401]: Options error: You must define CA file (--ca) or CA path (--capath)
Oct 18 10:23:19 syslog: VPN_LOG_ERROR: 452: Starting OpenVPN failed...
Oct 18 10:50:36 rc_service: httpd 440:notify_rc start_vpnclient1
Oct 18 10:22:45 openvpn[14314]: Use --help for more information.
Oct 18 10:22:45 syslog: VPN_LOG_ERROR: 452: Starting OpenVPN failed...
Aug 1 00:00:12 kernel: Registering the dns_resolver key type Aug 1 00:00:12 kernel: All bugs added by David S. Miller <davem@redhat.com>

As I understand this is of no help?
Will it be possible to return to normal/ get rid of the Wtv VPN "program" and next choose another provider?
Yes, I can see I did a mistake when I ordered this VPN.
Please give me some good advice!

Regards
Frost

You must define CA file (--ca) or CA path (--capath)

Seems you also need to specify your CA cert. There is a place in client to paste that in.

What I can see you only need to fix suggestion 1 and 2. Encryption Cipher and CA cert.

What is your VPN-provider?

Greetings all,
I just upgraded my AC68U from a 7 month old flash of 380_58. I have configured it exactly the same, but experience regular disconnects/reconnects of my devices on wifi every hour or so, sometimes a little quicker. I reset the default settings and reconfigured again but the problem persists. Is there something I am doing wrong or is it part of the update?
Thank You All in advance.

You are not alone! I had to go back to 380.57, set up traffic to a thumb drive, made sure it was recording then upgrade to 380.62. Now at 380.62-1 and all is well! This on a N66R.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Well, turned out this is what I had to do too. I tried going backwards from 62_1 and doing factory resets, it still wouldn't save to USB. So I did the Firmware Recovery to go back to .57, reset, and found it was saving traffic data to the USB now. So from there I did an update straight to 62_1 and checked, and it's still saving to USB now.

I don't know what version you had started at before all of this, so I don't know if this is a common N66 issue or if it's something like mine where I went from a 378.xx (.55) specifically to 62_1 and had it break. I guess I'd recommend if someone is using pre .57, to install that version first and then try updating to latest. It may save some work.

Greetings all,
I just upgraded my AC68U from a 7 month old flash of 380_58. I have configured it exactly the same, but experience regular disconnects/reconnects of my devices on wifi every hour or so, sometimes a little quicker. I reset the default settings and reconfigured again but the problem persists. Is there something I am doing wrong or is it part of the update?
Did you already delete the WLAN connection/settings on the clients and reconfigured again?

Greetings all,
Which AC68u do you have? I have the AC68u A1 version (sticker on the back says which one) and my device is rock-solid with this FW version.

You must define CA file (--ca) or CA path (--capath)
Seems you also need to specify your CA cert. There is a place in client to paste that in.
What I can see you only need to fix suggestion 1 and 2. Encryption Cipher and CA cert.
What is your VPN-provider?

Thank you!

Yes, I have followed your advice as far as I do understand.
The VPN-provider is Wtva VPN UK, but the contact is in U.S./Canada.
To get information from Wtva VPN about encryption etc. is difficult.
The only solution the Wtva VPN had to this problem, was to connect to PPtp/L2TP Client instead.

The subscription at Wtva VPN is canceled.

At last I do hope my Asus Rt-AC87U router still is in good order?
And if so, I need advice which new VPN provider is the best for me.

Regards
Frost

Again

The Clients: 3
SmartTV : 192.168.-.-
PC : 192.168.-.-
Hub-Tech : 193.168.-.-

The Hub-Tech is unknown for me. Will this be Wtva VPN? If so, how can I get rid of this safely from the router?

Yesterday I updated at the same time my RT-AC66U with latest 380.62_1 firmware, and a MacBook Pro to macOS Sierra.
Now I cannot access folders shared on the USB drive connected to Asus router.
I'm able to see on finder Asus's shared folders, but cannot access it, with and error saying that folder cannot be found.
Same shared folders are working correctly using Windows.

Not sure it's a problem related to this fw release due to fw/os update.

Any idea ?

Thanks in advance

RMerlin I have some questions. I just purchased an RT-AC3100. I noticed you haven't merged any ASUS GPL code recently.
  1. Do you compare the newer GPL code released to yours to determine if a merge would be benificial and then wait if it's not?
  2. When do you decide to merge ASUS GPL code?
  3. Besides using your firmware over ASUS stock for my RT-AC3100 for the added features and apparently better stability is ASUS using a more current wireless driver than yours at this point?
  4. What would be a pro instead of a con for using ASUS firmware over yours?
Thanks for any feedback.

Hi Everybody.

I was using Merlin 380.61, and one day I noticed that the client list was not displaying any information, despite "4 clients" being displayed, no details are being displayed.

So I updated to 380.62_1, but it is still doing the same.

Can someone please advise what I have done, or the router is doing, or not doing ?
http://imgur.com/a/d6msy
d6msy

Possible bug on the N66U on Firmware:380.62_1:

The N66U is set up as an AP.
When I set up a guest network, I can not choose to dis-allow access to the intranet (see below- the 68U does have that option, not sure if it should be in the 66 too?)
If I connect to the guest network thusly created, I have access to my local network- but that's not what a guest net should do? Right? Internet access yes, local access, no?
(because I'm running the 66 as an AP I have very little mgt options- I love the simplicity, but now I wonder if that was a mistake?)

upload_2016-10-23_15-45-35.png

RMerlin I have some questions. I just purchased an RT-AC3100. I noticed you haven't merged any ASUS GPL code recently.
  1. Do you compare the newer GPL code released to yours to determine if a merge would be benificial and then wait if it's not?
  2. When do you decide to merge ASUS GPL code?
  3. Besides using your firmware over ASUS stock for my RT-AC3100 for the added features and apparently better stability is ASUS using a more current wireless driver than yours at this point?
  4. What would be a pro instead of a con for using ASUS firmware over yours?
Thanks for any feedback.
I am not Merlin but here is a little info for question #4 that may be helpful: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-custom-firmware-for-asus-routers.7846/

Do you compare the newer GPL code released to yours to determine if a merge would be benificial and then wait if it's not?

I diff most GPL releases, and decide whether to merge or not based on many factors, most important being whether I can merge it or not. I'm highly dependent on Asus's constantly increasing amount of closed source code, which is model-specific.

For the last few releases, I only backported one or two fixes from newer GPL, rather than merge the whole GPL. I'm waiting for the next major release from Asus rather than waste hours merging a minor update that will be obsolete in a very near future.

When do you decide to merge ASUS GPL code?

When it's technically possible (meaning I have closed source components for ALL models, or it's compatible with previous releases of those components), when it doesn't introduce major issues, and when it fits within my own development timetable. There's no simple answer, it's a whole evaluation process for every new GPL release.

Besides using your firmware over ASUS stock for my RT-AC3100 for the added features and apparently better stability is ASUS using a more current wireless driver than yours at this point?

Can't really answer that, since that changes for every single model, and it will also vary between releases. Most of the time I update to the version used by the GPL version I'm merging in, but I don't always have updated versions for every single models, so it varies all the time. Sometimes Asus simply forgets to include the driver in a new GPL releases. This is often the case for the RT-AC3200 for instance (that router is an oddball for various reasons).

What would be a pro instead of a con for using ASUS firmware over yours?

People not trusting third party firmware, or wanting to immediately upgrade to a newer Asus release rather than wait for a new Asuswrt-Merlin release based on it. Otherwise, I keep the whole Asus featureset, so you're not losing anything by using my firmware.

When I set up a guest network, I can not choose to dis-allow access to the intranet (see below- the 68U does have that option, not sure if it should be in the 66 too?)

This option is not there because it's technically impossible for an AP to prevent access to the rest of the LAN - the primary router is the only device that has control over devices connected to itself.

Hi Everybody.

I was using Merlin 380.61, and one day I noticed that the client list was not displaying any information, despite "4 clients" being displayed, no details are being displayed.

Known issue, was mentionned numerous times on these forums. It's a hard-to-track issue that I have never been able to reproduce as it only happens for a very small number of users (and even for them it's random). We'll have to wait for Asus to track it down and fix it on their end.

This option is not there because it's technically impossible for an AP to prevent access to the rest of the LAN - the primary router is the only device that has control over devices connected to itself.
Ah, I see, thanks.
Is it possible for the primary router to see from which wl traffic is coming? Or any other means that I can have a guest network in this setting? (my RT68U is primary router/dhcp, the N66U is wifi access point. The 66u signal is so good that I have disabled wifi on the 68)
Thanks again!

Possible bug on the N66U on Firmware:380.62_1:

The N66U is set up as an AP.
If I connect to the guest network thusly created, I have access to my local network- but that's not what a guest net should do? Right? Internet access yes, local access, no?
(because I'm running the 66 as an AP I have very little mgt options- I love the simplicity, but now I wonder if that was a mistake?)

View attachment 7534
To futher elaborate on what RMerlin has said, the so galled "Guest Network" in AP Mode, is totally different from a Guest Network on a router. It really should be described differently by Asus. In AP Mode a so called Guest network is really just an alternate SSID/Password for the main network. It allows you to remove access for guests by disabling it, or change the password for guests, without affecting your own devices, but as you have noticed guests can access your entire network.

I rarely enable Guest Mode on my AP. I will only do it for short periods if someone I trust is in a part of the house where the main router does not reach and really needs access. I will normally put a timer on it, so it disables automatically and I frequently change the password.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!