What's new

Reliable Wireless Access Point Advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Veldkornet

Hey guys,

So I'm looking at getting 2x AP's for in the house, preferably I'd like it to be:
- PoE
- Wall Mountable
- 802.11ac
- Reliable!!!!

I was looking at these, but after reading reviews all over the Internet, it's just left me confused ;)
- Cisco WAP371
- Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC Pro

Any others to recommend? Any advice?

As a bit of history, I use an Asus RT-AC87U currently... When the wifi works, it works great! But when it doesn't... Man does it hit rock bottom, I end up rather connecting my phone over 4G with OpenVPN... Works way better!! So basically, as the router itself works great, I want to turn of the router's wifi, and rather place the two AP's. Of course, after having so much problems on the Asus, I'm hesitant to buy anything that's related to WiFi ;) We use quite a few Apple devices on the WiFi, but it's really a bit of a mix of everything, Android, laptops, home automation...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be sure to add Engenius, Edimax, and Zyxel - all have good products there as well, and perhaps at better prices/availability in some markets (note, SNB has world wide presence)

As long as you're sniffing around in Cisco/UniFi territory, you might as well give Ruckus ZonFlex a look. One of the most stable out-of-the-box AC solutions. If the cost is doable then in my eyes what's a couple hundred bucks of difference when it could very well *make* the difference between flake show and rock solid. (You won't find this opinion too often around here, by the way).

Otherwise, if you're more price sensitive and want to invest your time and patience instead, you could always try a consumer AC1900 router in AP mode, be it on factory or third-party firmware. Results there are a bit of a mixed bag, though, and I sense you've grown tired in that territory already, so perhaps purpose-built is the way to go for this use-case. :)

When you go to multiple wireless units make sure you adjust the power settings to where the clients can roam. If you get the 2 units too close your clients will not roam well. So you will need to adjust the power settings. There is a Cisco paper posted on this site for setting up Apple wireless devices.

I like the one point setup of the Cisco units. It makes setting up multiple units easy.