What's new

Remote Administration (AC87 & AC68)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chamberc

Regular Contributor
I often access my router via a domain name from within a corporate network with multiple proxies and external IP addresses (300k employees+).

The asus routers seems to balk when the IP's of the request change between requests.

Can anything be done to prevent getting the "Another user is logged in" error screen?

You just need to log out of the router and close the browser. Then, you can log in from another computer.

You just need to log out of the router and close the browser. Then, you can log in from another computer.
You misunderstand. I cannot log out, since my IP address is changing between actions within the GUI. Same computer, same browser...

Oh okay. That is a tough one.

Are you changing your IP yourself? Does closing all the browser windows help?

Oh okay. That is a tough one.

Are you changing your IP yourself? Does closing all the browser windows help?
No, our traffic is routed through many routers, so one click may come from one external IP and the next from another.

You could try changing the auto logout feature to a minute or two and see if that helps.

You misunderstand. I cannot log out, since my IP address is changing between actions within the GUI. Same computer, same browser...

This won't really help you, but whoever configured your load balancer at work didn't know what he was doing IMHO. Once a web client is routed through a specific interface, it should stay to that interface for at least the next few minutes/hours (that's how my own load balancer at work operates). A lot of websites won't work properly without that, as many websites to which you have to log in will validate your session against your IP to prevent session hijacking. For instance, the Horde webmail is one that will validate a session against your IP.

Your best bet is probably to setup a VPN tunnel, and do your management through that tunnel. That way, you will always be coming through whichever IP the tunnel was established with. And unlike http, the VPN tunnel tcp/udp session remains active as long the tunnel remains connected.

This won't really help you, but whoever configured your load balancer at work didn't know what he was doing IMHO. Once a web client is routed through a specific interface, it should stay to that interface for at least the next few minutes/hours (that's how my own load balancer at work operates). A lot of websites won't work properly without that, as many websites to which you have to log in will validate your session against your IP to prevent session hijacking. For instance, the Horde webmail is one that will validate a session against your IP.

Your best bet is probably to setup a VPN tunnel, and do your management through that tunnel. That way, you will always be coming through whichever IP the tunnel was established with. And unlike http, the VPN tunnel tcp/udp session remains active as long the tunnel remains connected.
Use of VPN would be a violation of policy. No websites exhibit problems except for my Asus routers. Sessions shouldn't have to remain in a single IP.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!