What's new

remote administration question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jazztrump9

Occasional Visitor
Hello,
I have been an avid tomato user for years. I recently purchased an asus rt-ac66u and installed tomato shibby on it, but i was having issues with the wireless. It would connect and as time went by the bandwidth would slowly drop until after about 24hrs it would need to have the wireless radio reset. Nothing I did would fix it. I switched to merlin and have not since had a problem.

One thing I noticed I could do in tomato that I cant in merlin is about the remote administration. In tomato I could turn on remote admin and specify only to allow connections from certain ip addresses. Tomato would allow any ip within the lan to access the admin web console or additionally you could specify 192.168.1.0/24 or 192.168.1.1-254.

In merlin I enabled remote admin from specific ip's and put my works wan ip in. Immediately I was unable to connect through the webpage from inside my lan. I had to use ssh to turn off httpd_client and then I was able to get back in. Merlin doesn't seem to support specifying ranges, or additionally, if you enable filtering on the admin console, it disallows lan access. I find this to be a bit strange.

Is there a work around to this or is this a something than can be worked into future versions? I like the remote admin feature, but I like to filter out who can connect and who cant. Passwords are only so good...

Thanks!