What's new

Remote backup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bitbucket

Occasional Visitor
OK. I'm trying to figure out whether it is possible to do the following: Have two single-drive NASes in different locations that back up to each other automatically over the Internet?
I have read documentation from devices made by Synology, Qnap and Seagate that seem to do this, but I want to make sure before I invest. I read the series of Nas to Nas backup articles written by Mr. Higgins, and they all reference backing up between nas devices located on the same network. They do not explicitly say that these backup techniques will also work over the Internet.
Is anyone out there doing this?Does anyone know what equipment can get this done? I just like the idea of having a second copy of everything off site.

Buffalo NAS

Hi,

I am doing this using Buffalo NASs and a permanent VPN tunnel between my home and office. I use Retrospect backup software to do the actual backup.

Pros
It works.

Cons
Quite slow. Even if I only do the incremental backups remotely (ie. I always do the first back up on the local subnet since it is so data intensive).

Hope this helps.

Oscar

Thanks but

I guess I was wondering of some of the products with rsync capability can do this without having to set up a VPN?

As long as the rsync devices on both ends support secure rsync (usually via SSH), you don't have to set up a separate VPN.