What's new

Remote desktop doesn't work with Asus RT-AC68U router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LordVader

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

I recently bought an ASUS RT-AC68U router to replace my old router. Connecting it to my modem and internet connection was hassle free. However I am not able to RDP to my Windows 7 wired desktop (headless, waiting for the right monitor to come on sale ... :)). I cannot use it without RDP. To test out different scenarios I powered on an old Windows 7 laptop and tried out a whole lot of things I read from different forums and via google search;

1) Wireless --> Professional --> Set AP isolated (Enabled) --> Didn't work
2) WAN --> Virtual Server/Port Forwarding --> Forwarded port 3389 for the windows 7 laptop's IP address for both TCP and UDP --> Didn't work
3) Turned OFF windows firewall as well as Norton security firewall (also turned OFF Norton Security completely) on the windows 7 laptop --> Didn't work
4) Ensured RDP is enabled on the windows 7 laptop --> it is enabled
5) Both laptops (one I am using for connecting and the windows 7 laptop) are on the same 5Ghz. For the wired connection I tried keeping both the laptop and the desktop on a wired connection --> still RDP refused to work

I am now at my wits end and need to access my desktop, other than buying a temporary monitor which will be an unnecessary cost, I have no idea what I need to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Why are you port forwarding to your laptop when you are trying to rdp to your desktop? You don't need AP Isolated either. RDP doesn't need to be enable on the laptop it's the client, RDP only needs to be enabled on the desktop.

Are you sure your IP address didn't change for your desktop after putting the new router in?

Why are you port forwarding to your laptop when you are trying to rdp to your desktop? You don't need AP Isolated either. RDP doesn't need to be enable on the laptop it's the client, RDP only needs to be enabled on the desktop.

Are you sure your IP address didn't change for your desktop after putting the new router in?

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.. :-( .. Since I won't be able to shut down Firewall and Norton security on my wired desktop. I am trying out the steps on a Windows 7 laptop from my Macbook. So all the steps I did were from my Macbook to my Windows 7 laptop.

The AP isolated step was mentioned in the Asustek forum I read while searching on this issue.

The wired desktop is taking an IP (can see the IP assigned to the wired desktop on the Network map) and I have set a reservation on that IP for the desktop from the ASUS router console.

My bad about the confusion.

Start by pinging the machine you want to connect to, use it's IP address.
Does it work? Any error?

If ping works, do you get any error trying to connect using remote desktop, again using the IP address?

Start by pinging the machine you want to connect to, use it's IP address.
Does it work? Any error?

If ping works, do you get any error trying to connect using remote desktop, again using the IP address?

I tried pinging and the only response that gets is a "Request timeout", I can see the laptop has a proper IP and can connect to the internet but it doesnt respond to pings ... :-(

This never happened with my earlier router, everything from ping to RDP worked out of the box. Not sure why it does'nt for the new ASUS.

As i see it there are two possible reasons for "Request timeout", you are pinging wrong IP address or there is a firewall locking ping in the target computer.
Please verify that you ping the right address.

Are both machines on the same network (LAN)?
Which IP addresses do they have?

What version of Windows 7 are you running - only Professional/Ultimate/Enterprise have RDP as a server and client - Win7 Home is RDP client only...

@LordVader Windows on your monitor-less desktop saw your new router and immediately flagged it as a public network by default because the MAC address changed. There's not much you can do about that without a monitor. It's not the fault of your new router or a bug in Windows: that's how it behaves by default. You're flying blind until you can get it to trust your local network. The most straightforward way to fix this would be to hook up a monitor. Does the new desktop have HDMI or anything that can be adapted to one of your TVs?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Just setup my AC68 and having the same issue, except I can ping my desktop. Never had this problem on my AC66.

Edit: Nevermind, some how Network discoverable got disabled. I turned it back on and everything is fine.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!