What's new

Remote logging is killing my Asus RT-AC5300?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RamGuy

I don't have much experience with remote logging on home routers. But yesterday, I enabled remote logging on my Asus RT-AC5300 running Merlin 380.63_2 and it seems to be killing my routers performance?

Not only did my friends begin to have packet loss on my Teamspeak Server, but I also started to have "bouncy" ping/latency while gaming. Much more so than usual. Where I would normally see 15-60ms, I would now see 30-80ms with peeks above 500ms. This is something that seldomly happens, but after enabling remote logging it was bouncing and peeking all the time.

There is nothing in the actual syslogs showing or describing any real problems. But I started troubleshooting, disabling various things like DDoS, Adaptive QoS, AiProtection etc.. Besides disabling AiProtection, nothing really seemed to help with the problem. Disabling AiProtection helped a little, but it was far from performing like it normally does.

I also ran various speedtests and my bandwidth is normally tested as 540mbit down and 480mbit up (I pay for 500/500mbit), but with remote logging enabled I was only seeing 20-130mbit. It never went above 130mbit.

It took a while before I figured it was because of remote logging. As soon as I disabled all logging I was instantly back to 540/480 and my ping was back to normal with no spikes. Upon re-activiating the logging everything was back to being sluggish.

I also noticed that with logging set to log both dropped and accepted on the firewall, and default message log set to debug/all the CPU Core #1 would never drop below 83% load. It was normally at 95-100% all the time. By disabling all logging, it rarely goes above 3% load.

How come logging is thrashing my RT-AC5300 this hard? I do understand that enabling heavy logging on the router itself might be demanding as it requires constant writes to the NAND and I suspect the log size will get too large for it rather fast. But when enabling remote logging to my server, it shouldn't really cause that much strain on the router, should it?

EDIT:

It seems like it's mostly related to the firewall logging, and not the system logging. Enabling debug/all in system log settings doesn't seem to increase the CPU load all that much and the ping/speed don't get affected. But as soon as I enable firewall logging, logging dropped and accepted connections the load skyrockets and the performance takes a nosedive.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!