What's new

Renaming client names

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kevindd992002

Regular Contributor
I noticed that you can rename the client names when you go to network map -> view clients. I was just wondering if this change will retain when upgrading to a newer version of Merlin everytime a new version comes out? If the answer is no, I wouldn't waste time renaming all of my clients. I just wanted to confirm. Thanks.

You will have to rename them again after an upgrade. I had to do this with our Amazon FTV sticks. Now the laptops, iPhones and Xbox did not require it.

What do you mean the laptops, iphones, and xbox did not require it? So the renaming for these device types survived the upgrade?

Yes, because on each of those devices you can go into their settings and give them a name. So the router will show their name. So for example if you have an iphone you would do the following.
Settings, General, About and from there you could name you iphone and then the router will show that name in the client list.

Oh ok, yeah. I just thought that the client names you were referring to were configured in the router interface which made me confused.

You will have to rename them again after an upgrade. I had to do this with our Amazon FTV sticks. Now the laptops, iPhones and Xbox did not require it.
The renamed clients in the network map are supposed to survive an upgrade, even for clients that doesn't support custom hostnames such as most dongles, cast devices and TV's! So answering OP's question, if upgrading, you will still retain the renamed client names on network map!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!