What's new

Repeater mode not working on 5Ghz band (RT-AC68U - 380.57)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

outrage_uk

Occasional Visitor
When setting up an AC68U in repeater mode - connecting to the AC87U router on a 5 Ghz channel, wireless clients can't connect through it, either on 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz. Clients fail to obtain an IP addresses. The AC68U is contactable when connecting through the AC87U.

Works as it should when connecting to the router in repeater mode on a 2.4Ghz channel, but wireless connection speed is less than 150Mpbs, much slower than my broadband.

Modem <---> RT-AC87U ))) ((( 5Ghz RT-AC68U ))) X 5Ghz / 2.4Ghz, Not working - fail to obtain IP address.

Modem <---> RT-AC87U ))) ((( 2.4Ghz RT-AC68U ))) ((( 5Ghz / 2.4Ghz Working, @ ~150Mbps

Both running Merlin 380.57 firmware, but exactly the same problem when running Asus 3.0.0.4.380_1842.

Get well soon Merlin. :)

I had a similar issue today where I have an RT-N66U running the same firmware connecting to a Comcast Gateway. I successfully connected the 5Ghz band of the RT-N66U to the 5Ghz band on the Comcast Gateway in repeater mode. I can connect successfully to either of my repeated SSID's either on the 2.4Ghz or the 5Ghz band and get a valid IP address. The issue I am having is that the gateway IP the is received via DHCP is the IP for the RT-N66U repeater and not the IP for the comcast gateway. If I create a static IP everything works fine.
Comcast 10.0.0.1
Asus 10.0.0.66
DHCP address is 10.0.0.177 with gateway IP 10.0.0.66 instead of 10.0.0.1.

Yes its probably related to DHCP forwarding. Strange how it works on 2.4Ghz but not 5Ghz though.

As you say, static IP's work, but there will be 100+ wireless clients connecting in my set up - static IP's are not an option.

Same issue as outrageuk. Reapeter mode is not working on my AC68. Last working is Merlin 378.54_1.

The Problem is on the AC68.

I Have Asus Austria reported the issue in Dezember.
But yet received a reply

Same issue as outrageuk. Reapeter mode is not working on my AC68. Last working is Merlin 378.54_1.

The Problem is on the AC68.

I Have Asus Austria reported the issue in Dezember.
But yet received a reply
Does 378.54_2 work? (NO, it doesn't)

Has there been any talk of fixing Repeater Mode?

Last edited:
@chamberc
Can you please write a PN to
@vanic or ASUS_ASUSWRT that the reapeter mode is not working on AC68.
Your englisch is mouch better and you can explain better.

Thanks

Don't contact Asus representatives about bugs unless you have specifically reproduced it using Asus's original firmware.

Im also having this problem but I have a AC66U, everything runs fine if I leave it in default mode, But as soon as I run it in repeater mode, bridge to 87U, it just reboots itself about every 5-10 mins, running firmware anything above 380.57. Im back down to running firmware 378.56.2( in repeater mode) running like a champ

Don't contact Asus representatives about bugs unless you have specifically reproduced it using Asus's original firmware.

Its also on the original firmware the issue, i have testet it.

Ok PN maybe not so good idea.

I will write a mail to local support in Austria, but here it would certainly a lot faster

I also ran into trouble with the 5GHz band - but in my case, it's using the 2.4GHz band for the uplink. I was getting associations but no DHCP. Flashing 378.56.2 fixed the issue - though strangely, I had to flash it several times for it to actually install.

Has anyone found a solution for this? I've got an AC87U on 380.58 as my main router, while the AC68U on stock Asus firmware 3.0.0.4_380_3831 as my repeater. Wireless clients attempting to connect to the AC68U can't get an DHCP IP address.

Thanks.

Has anyone found a solution for this? I've got an AC87U on 380.58 as my main router, while the AC68U on stock Asus firmware 3.0.0.4_380_3831 as my repeater. Wireless clients attempting to connect to the AC68U can't get an DHCP IP address.

Thanks.
I've got mine working as I'm running the 87U, with the older QTN drivers 37.3.50. And I'm running my 66U with the latest firmware from John's fork

Its also on the original firmware the issue, i have testet it.

Ok PN maybe not so good idea.

I will write a mail to local support in Austria, but here it would certainly a lot faster

I noticed in your signature that you have an AC87U (380.58) as your Main Router and AC68U ((3.0.0.4.380_3831)) in Repeater-Mode on 5GHZ. Is your DHCP working when wireless and wired clients connect on the AC68U?

I finally found a combination that works. AC87U (380.58) as main router & AC68U (378.53) in repeater mode on 5Ghz. DHCP works on both wired and wireless clients via AC68U.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I finally found a combination that works. AC87U (380.58) as main router & AC68U (378.53) in repeater mode on 5Ghz. DHCP works on both wired and wireless clients via AC68U.

Ther was also a bug in the AC68U Firmware. The Repeater mode last working was 378.53. Since the 380.62 the Repeater mode is working again on the AC68U.

But not stable.
You musst first start the AC87. Wait 5 minutes. And then you can start the AC68 and it should connect. But when you disconnect the AC68 he is not connecting again. You have start the AC87 always first then connect the AC68. That should work.

Ther was also a bug in the AC68U Firmware. The Repeater mode last working was 378.53. Since the 380.62 the Repeater mode is working again on the AC68U.

I tried this combo...but when wired/wireless clients connect to the AC68U, the default gateway and DNS it gives the client is the IP address of the AC68U instead of the AC87U's.

I've spent so much time fiddling around this. I might just end up reselling my AC87U's and use my old AC68U's or perhaps replace the AC87U's w/ AC88U's or AC3100. It seems the AC87U is the black sheep in the Asus router family.

Hi, I just bought this repeater to extend my 5ghz network but it failed with the latest asus firmware. The latest merlin firmware also doesn't work. I had to flash merlin 378.53 to get it to work. Is there any chance this will be addressed?

Last edited:
I finally gave up on my AC87U (sold it). I replaced it with the AC88U. My new setup is as follows:

1) AC88U w/ 380.63_2 (main router/gateway to Internet)
2) AC68U w/ 380.63_2 (media bridge mode connected to AC88U on 5Ghz)
3) AC68U w/ 380.63_2 (repeater mode connected to AC88U on 5Ghz)

Everything working smoothly. So repeater mode on AC68U does work...it just depends on what router it's repeating from.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!