What's new

Repeater mode not working on 5Ghz band (RT-AC68U - 380.57)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I finally gave up on my AC87U (sold it). I replaced it with the AC88U. My new setup is as follows:

1) AC88U w/ 380.63_2 (main router/gateway to Internet)
2) AC68U w/ 380.63_2 (media bridge mode connected to AC88U on 5Ghz)
3) AC68U w/ 380.63_2 (repeater mode connected to AC88U on 5Ghz)

Everything working smoothly. So repeater mode on AC68U does work...it just depends on what router it's repeating from.
Hi, thanks for prompt reply. I'm using mine with the Virgin Media Superhub 3.0 and I could only get it to work with 378.53.

Hi, thanks for prompt reply. I'm using mine with the Virgin Media Superhub 3.0 and I could only get it to work with 378.53.
Why are you repeating the virgin hub 3 ? Put the hub into modem only mode and use the Asus as the router.
Paul.

My hub and ac68u are in different neighboring houses. I have two houses but only one has internet.
Ah I see, I'd still have the hub 3 in modem mode, Ethernet to AC68 in one house then use another Asus as a repeater. That's what I'm doing now, my N66 repeating the AC68
Those hubs are just junk for wireless.
Paul.

Ah I see, I'd still have the hub 3 in modem mode, Ethernet to AC68 in one house then use another Asus as a repeater. That's what I'm doing now, my N66 repeating the AC68
Those hubs are just junk for wireless.
Paul.
Sorry, I lied a bit. One house is my dads and ethernet from one house to the other is a definite no-no, so I'm stuck with this setup. I've had the N66U repeating the hub's 5ghz signal for three years now and it has served me well. I spotted the AC68U for less than £100 on black Friday so I couldn't resist. I tried the hub in modem mode with N66U and the AC68U doing the 5ghz repeating but that didn't work. It worked the other way though.

I did a bit of experiment when I had my AC87U. I had all routers on 380.62. I couldn't get AC68U to work in repeater mode in 5Ghz when it's trying to repeat the AC87U directly. But if I setup another AC68U to repeat the AC68U that's trying to repeat the AC87U, the 2nd AC68U was able to repeat the AC87U through the first AC68U. Confusing? Yes.

AC87U -> AC68U -> AC68U

Both AC68U's configured in repeater mode. The middle AC68U can't repeat. Wired and wireless clients can't get DHCP address if trying to connect here. I don't remember if I tried static IP's or not on the clients. I think if I used static, it worked. The weird part was that the other AC68U worked fine. I was able to repeat the AC87U through the middle AC68U... got Internet access, DHCP for wired/wireless, etc.

So you can try these options:

1) Hub -> AC66U (media bridge) -> AC68U (access point)

2) Hub -> AC66U (repeater) -> AC68U (repeater)

I believe both options will work on latest Merlin firmware.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What I meant was,
House 1, hub in modem mode, Ethernet to AC 68.

House 2,N66 acting as wireless repeater, grabbing the signal from house 1/AC68.
My N66 is grabbing the 5ghz from my AC 68, both devices are broadcasting 2.4ghz and 5ghz, 4 different names.

If AC68U is connected to hub via CAT5 and AC68U is configured in access point mode, then AC66U should be able to repeat AC68U.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk

Im also having this problem but I have a AC66U, everything runs fine if I leave it in default mode, But as soon as I run it in repeater mode, bridge to 87U, it just reboots itself about every 5-10 mins, running firmware anything above 380.57. Im back down to running firmware 378.56.2( in repeater mode) running like a champ
Hi, which firmwares are you using on the 87U and the 66U? And are you using the repeater on 5Ghz?
Still trying to find out a winning combo :)

It should do because before the ac68u wouldn't connect to any of my 5ghz networks and now it does.
Seems there is still the same issue (ac68u not staying connected in repeater mode on 5ghz band) with the following firmwares:
RT-AC68U in repeater mode: 3.0.0.4.380_4164
RT-AC87U: Merlin 380.63_2

Did you
Seems there is still the same issue (ac68u not staying connected in repeater mode on 5ghz band) with the following firmwares:
RT-AC68U in repeater mode: 3.0.0.4.380_4164
RT-AC87U: Merlin 380.63_2
My ac68u works in repeater mode on 5ghz band but it did drop connection once, fixed by a restart. Let's see how stable the connection is. Did you contact Asus?

2 years later – I am having this same issue with 68U as repeater on Merlin 384.13 ... any way to fix?
If I ethernet into the repeater, it shows "Parent AP status Disconnected" – and every few minutes Connected for just a couple of seconds.
Is there a better firmware for repeater mode?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!