What's new

Repeater setup, unable to run cat5 between AP's

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ls3c6

Occasional Visitor
Have a scenario where I need to daisy chain WDS / repeater access points through a building where I cannot run a cat5 patch to each back to the main router.

What is the best method to achieve this? Is it even possible to configure lets say 4 routers in repeater mode where is each one is farther and farther away from the main router, but all same ssid / encrpytion / password?

I do understand each link on the chain will reduce throughput by 1/2

thank you!

4 routers in repeater mode? I'm sure it's possible, but why would you want to?

The throughput will be 1/16 or less (if it is still stable).

I completely understand, I personally don't want to do it this way... but need to know if plausible :/

Unless you have in close vicinity of 1Gbps u/d speeds, it isn't even worth trying, imo.

Run a cable instead (no headaches afterwards). From the main router to the first AP and from the second AP to the third, etc. (you don't need to run cable to each AP individually, although that would be the optimal).

Keep in mind this is how it will look like on a relative scale:

RTR-----------------------------------------------------------RTR

If the above is the scale of the usable range of the main router to client devices, then,

RTR------------------RPTR------------------RPTR------------------RPTR------------------RPTR

The above would be roughly to scale of how close the repeaters need to be to receive and extend an appreciable signal. (With the last repeater having the same 'range', possibly, as the main router).

I don't think it's worth it. ;)

4 routers in repeater mode? I'm sure it's possible, but why would you want to?

The throughput will be 1/16 or less (if it is still stable).

Nope - just don't do that - better off with a few HomePlugs perhaps.... they'll be more efficient (that's what they do), and having four repeaters, as @L&LD suggests, will kill the WiFi links...

You can avoid the 50% throughput hit by using all dual-band APs and alternating bands for backhaul.

AP1 - 2.4 - AP2 - 5 - AP3 - 2.4 - AP4 - 5 - STA

If you need the end STA to support 2.4, then just use 5 GHz for the first hop.

Note 5 GHz has reduced range, so you may need to space those APs closer.

Tim, that is an excellent suggestion.

Hope the OP needs just the end AP in one band or the other! :)

You can avoid the 50% throughput hit by using all dual-band APs and alternating bands for backhaul.

AP1 - 2.4 - AP2 - 5 - AP3 - 2.4 - AP4 - 5 - STA

That's a clever approach ;)

HomePlugs would probably be a better solution overall, as repeaters will still cause a lot more traffic on the air interface...