What's new

Repeater spoofing MAC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thermo

Occasional Visitor
Hi together,
I am using a RT-AC87U and an AVM 1750E repeater. Now I have the problem, that all clients which are connected to the repeater, are shown on the AC-87U with the repeater MAC.
Does somebody know how I can fix it?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G925F mit Tapatalk

My Router seems to get the correct MAC's. The DHCP reservation for the clients works without a problem

There is a fundamental problem with wireless repeaters in that they can't preserve the MAC addresses of their clients. Manufacturers get around this problem by using proprietary or non-standard techniques. This means that devices from the same manufacturer usually work with each other but devices from different manufacturers often have compatibility problems similar to what you are seeing.

One of the advantages of WDS is that it avoids this problem. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_distribution_system

But WDS doesn't work with WPA2? Would it work correct when I exchange my repeater through an ASUS repeater?

You can't. It's a limitation of how repeaters work.

Yes/No - depends on how repeaters work - Fritzboxen are pretty advanced, and may be acting as de facto routers - so the DHCP requests at layer2/3 might all be coming from the same source MAC address - which is the Fritzbox, not the actual clients... and it's all legit from a spec view...

I'm sorry but I can't recommend any particular product because I don't use repeaters because of their problems.

If you can do it, it would be better to use an Access Point which is connected to the router via cable or powerline adapters.