What's new

Replacement Asus RT AC66U adapter; how to find one?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

starbelly

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

Our rabbit chewed through the power adapter for our Asus RT A66U router. The specific model of the power adapter is ADP-33AW B (it outputs 19 volts). These specific adapters seem to be damn near impossible to find (at least through Asus). I can find them on eBay, shady looking websites, and have also found third party adapters on Amazon that may or may not work.

I've spoken to Asus customer service, and have also chatted with them online. Both times they have told me that they (Asus) do not carry those adapters. It seems super odd that a company doesn't carry its own branded adapters for its own products.

I actually bought a third party adapter from Amazon (advertised as being compatible with this router) and it did not work; the plug was too small/not correct (see photos).

What's the best way to get this specific adapter? Can I strongarm Asus into sending me one? I'd like to have Internet at home again ASAP.

Attachments

• IMG_3265.JPG
    IMG_3265.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,160
  • IMG_3266.JPG
    IMG_3266.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 901
That adaptor is for an Asus VivoBook, not your router.

Take your old adaptor to the closest electronics hobby shop and they'll get you sorted in no time (and probably cheaper than ebay too).

Perfect, thanks!

Asus for some reason uses 19V adapters compared to others which use more common 12V ones. For exact replacement, I'd check eBay first.

Asus for some reason uses 19V adapters compared to others which use more common 12V ones. For exact replacement, I'd check eBay first.

ebay already sent him the wrong one. Compatible!

These are all great solutions!

I spoke with the third party adapter manufacturer and they said they sent me the wrong one, and will be sending me the correct model.

I managed to solder the split cable back together this morning, but have yet to see if it works.

From what I read it was Amazon not Ebay that the OP purchased an adapter from.

Yes, you're correct. I read too quickly how they are available on ebay in the first post. :)

The soldered cable did not work :/

I have another third party adapter coming tomorrow, and a used official one coming next week.

We'll see I suppose.

I've spoken to Asus customer service, and have also chatted with them online. Both times they have told me that they (Asus) do not carry those adapters. It seems super odd that a company doesn't carry its own branded adapters for its own products.

Don't feel bad - there was another forum member that tried to reach out for replacement antennas on the RT-AC5300 after an alcohol fueled misadventure caused the router to leap to the floor, damaging two of them... and Asus technical support couldn't help him either...

Antennas, power adapters - these are consumable items - and Asus is missing opportunities here for these service parts...

Don't feel bad - there was another forum member that tried to reach out for replacement antennas on the RT-AC5300 after an alcohol fueled misadventure caused the router to leap to the floor, damaging two of them... and Asus technical support couldn't help him either...

Antennas, power adapters - these are consumable items - and Asus is missing opportunities here for these service parts...

Seriously, it makes no sense.

UPDATE:

I managed to find the appropriate power adapter (ADP-33AW B) on eBay. Considering that I was sent the same (incorrect) power adapter from the their party Amazon seller twice now, I'm thinking it may be my router.

On the box it says I have an Asus AC1750. On the bottom of the router it also says RT66U. Asus sells both an AC1750 and an RT66U. They have the same specs, and an ASUS rep told me that they were the same. Apparently, they likely differ in terms of the size of the pin for the power supply.

Not confusing at all, haha.

In an effort to avoid further confusion for others browsing this thread you should make sure to refer to your router as the RT-AC66U instead of just RT66U as there is also a RT-N66U which was a very popular model.

In an effort to avoid further confusion for others browsing this thread you should make sure to refer to your router as the RT-AC66U instead of just RT66U as there is also a RT-N66U which was a very popular model.
My bad, I knew I was missing something as I was typing that! I actually used to own the RT-N66U.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!