What's new

Replacing the ISP router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Seany

New Around Here
Hello!

New here, but got recommended that I would get solid advice.

I'm looking to replace the router provided by my ISP, a BT Home Hub 6. While its ok, the kids are growing up and want to secure the network better, but have the flexibility to have a less secure server. Plus, who doesn't like a little project like this.

It needs to be VDSL and support speeds up to 70Mbps down/16Mbps up, if there is room for more later that is great, but not required!
My knowledge of the different vendors is ok, I'm confident with the configuration, but less so on the hardware specifics, especially when it comes to vdsl.

I've been looking at several different configurations, vendors etc and was hoping some others might have some better advice. I'm doing this on a tight(ish) budget so most of the options I'm looking at are off of a popular auction site.

These are some of the options I've looked at, but feel free to recommend me something totally different. My main experience is with Cisco, Juniper and Checkpoint. So a lot more confident with them.

- Cisco ASA plus modem, from my research a lot of people recommend a draytek modem? On my budget the ASA is probably a 5510 I understand they support pppoe but just need the modem to do the lifting?

- Juniper SRX, probably a 1xx or 2xx, as I see it, they can do it all in one box? the 2xx just needs a module. I have read a few comments that the SRX can be buggy, is this correct? My experience is only with the SSG's.

- any firewall, with Cisco router either an 887 or a 28xx/38xx with EHWIC module. My biggest concern with this is noise, I'm not sure how well the 887 or 28xx would cope, and noise reports on the 38xx are fairly mixed.

One of key things for me is Latency. I have a gaming server for a small group of friends, its a sacrificial lamb, so security isn't critical, but latency is.
My knowledge of the units on that front is where I really fall down. Do any of them make a difference?

Another concern is noise, as while the Mrs understands my need to geek out, she does like to sleep, as do I. However if there are things I can bodge, mod, change, to make them quiet, I'm happy with that also.

The only last thing, is I once I've got it right, I really want it to be fire and forget. I want something that will pound away forever without complaints.

Of course, thank you in advance for any help/recomendations, I appreciate them.

Sean

You might take a look at the Cisco RV340 router they are only about $151. I came from a Cisco background and I find the Cisco small business gear more to my likening. I tried a couple of other brands of routers but they were too buggy or when you added a few ACLs or did something in the router the speed fell to less than half of what it was rated for. You will need a modem or put your current ISP's router in bridge mode to act as a modem to work with the RV340 router. You will also need a wireless AP. I use a Cisco WAP371 which I bought off eBay. They handle VLANs real well for guest or smart home devices. They seem to have good roaming and Wi-Fi for iPhones.

The problem I have seen is when you work with a high level firewalls like untangle or maybe the ASA from Cisco is you lose latency due to all the scanning. I worked with the old Cisco's Pix firewalls as I have been retired for a long time. I have not worked with the Cisco ASAs so this is an assumption by me, but I tend to think router firewalls have lower latency.

PS
I run a Cisco layer3 switch with a router VLAN which I think helps with latency since the router only sees internet traffic all other is shielded in the other VLANs by the layer 3 switch.

Thanks for the reply guys.

Sadly the newer Home Hubs do not have a bridge mode.

I had not considered the RV340 but will take a look, it was not one that had previously considered.
As I would need it to pair with it with a VDSL modem, I'm looking at a Draytek 130 in Bridge Mode, they seem to get significant ravings about them.
I personally am not a fan of the look of them, but thats a minor thing. Unless someone can suggest a better option?

Cheers for the WiFi advice, I have a colleague who is investing in the new Mesh AP's so waiting to see how his perform, and I can rely upon my older E4200 for now.

Thanks again!