What's new

Reseting WAN port

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gragnous

Occasional Visitor
I'm currently running 738.51 on a RT-N66U. Since installing 738.50, I've had a number of issues which I've been trying to work through. The current issue is my WAN port dropping. When the WAN drops, I am not able to ping the cable modem. I could write a script on a CRON job that pings the cable modem, then reboots the router. But, I'm wondering if there might be a better way to reset the WAN port without having to reboot?

You must be from the future. The current RMerlin firmware is 378.51 :)

Why don't you just fix the issue that is causing the WAN to drop instead? Try turning off or unplugging both the modem and router for 30 minutes or more, plug in the modem and wait 5 minutes, then, plug in the router. This hopefully fixes it for you. If not, see if there is any hardware faults you can address, such as a bad LAN cable, for example.

When you upgraded to 378.51, did you do a reset to factory defaults? Did you manually and minimally configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP and see if the issue happens again? If you do this now, I would suggest leaving the modem unplugged from the AC power for at least 30 minutes to ensure it has 'reset' with your ISP too.

I'm currently running 738.51 on a RT-N66U. Since installing 738.50, I've had a number of issues which I've been trying to work through. The current issue is my WAN port dropping. When the WAN drops, I am not able to ping the cable modem. I could write a script on a CRON job that pings the cable modem, then reboots the router. But, I'm wondering if there might be a better way to reset the WAN port without having to reboot?

Thank you for the suggestions, sorry about the typo, and yes, I am from the future. ;)

Prior to and again just after installing 378.50, I did a factory reset. Over the last several weeks, I have tried the other suggestions also. At night, I typically power down the modem using what is in effect a timer. When the modem comes back up in the morning, often the router doesn't "see" the modem. I've done this for many, many years and never had an issue until after installing 378.50 (though back in ancient times I used to shut down both modem and router, then bring router and modem up in sequence. I haven't had to power down the router for many years, and would rather not if I can help it.)

I've learned just enough scripting to be dangerous. I'm fairly sure I can whip out a script that would ping my modem and, if no response (amongst other criteria), reboot the router. But, rather than reboot the router I would rather reset the WAN port, which seems more elegant then a reboot. I'm just not sure what the command is, if there is one.

Should we call you Calvin? :)

http://www.quotes.net/mquote/5891

Back to the present; it seems you have ruled out bad cables or other hardware issues. You did not do a reset to defaults after flashing 378.51. It is not necessary, but it wouldn't hurt to try it? Along with manually and minimally configuring the router to secure it and connect to your ISP.

You are turning off your modem only? Why? Do you leave the computers turned on at night? Is this a version of parental controls? If you leave the modem on (and preferably both the modem and the router on a battery backed UPS) does it still drop the WAN?

Others may recommend the commands you are asking for, but I still think you are approaching this from the wrong end. :)

Thank you for the suggestions, sorry about the typo, and yes, I am from the future. ;)

Prior to and again just after installing 378.50, I did a factory reset. Over the last several weeks, I have tried the other suggestions also. At night, I typically power down the modem using what is in effect a timer. When the modem comes back up in the morning, often the router doesn't "see" the modem. I've done this for many, many years and never had an issue until after installing 378.50 (though back in ancient times I used to shut down both modem and router, then bring router and modem up in sequence. I haven't had to power down the router for many years, and would rather not if I can help it.)

I've learned just enough scripting to be dangerous. I'm fairly sure I can whip out a script that would ping my modem and, if no response (amongst other criteria), reboot the router. But, rather than reboot the router I would rather reset the WAN port, which seems more elegant then a reboot. I'm just not sure what the command is, if there is one.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/problem-rt-n66-with-cable-modem-dcm-475.22268/page-2#post-164550

At night, I typically power down the modem using what is in effect a timer. When the modem comes back up in the morning, often the router doesn't "see" the modem. I've done this for many, many years and never had an issue until after installing 378.50 (though back in ancient times I used to shut down both modem and router, then bring router and modem up in sequence. I haven't had to power down the router for many years, and would rather not if I can help it.)

I suspect a timing problem between the router and the modem. The modem on power up may not be ready for the DHCP request from the router.
Try doing a kill -SIGUSR1 xx
where xx is the process id of udhcpc process.

This signal causes udhcpc to renew the current lease or, if it does not have one, obtain a new lease.

If that works, on the WAN page, change the DHCP query frequency to normal.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!