What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cowboy

Regular Contributor
I have connected on LAN Port 3 of my AC88U Asus Router my Yamaha MusicCast 50 device. I am listening to Internet Radio.
Sometimes the Radio stops playing, only after disconnecting and reconnecting the ethernet cable from the LAN port of the router the problem is resolved and I can listen again to Internet Radio. Also when this happens the device does not show up in Client List of connected devices to my router.
This happens like once a day or once in two days.

My question: Is it possible to restart/reset a LAN port a the router on the Asuswrt-Merlin User Interface or via a command line ?
Any explanations why this might be happening ?

Have you tried different (brand, length, quality) Ethernet cables? Have you tried flipping the one you got from the router to YMC50 to YMC50 to the router (end over end)?

Can you test with an unmanaged 'dumb' switch in between them? Can you test on another port of the router? Are you using ports 5-8 on the RT-AC88U? Power it down, unplug all cables, USB drives, and power cords/plugs, but leave the power button 'on' for a few minutes to let it drain the capacitors internally. Then plug everything in and try again.

I don't think it is possible to restart the LAN ports except by rebooting the router.

The likely explanation is because it is an RT-AC88U.

What firmware are you using on it, btw?

Is there a reason you are using ethernet rather than wireless? The ethernet connection on the MusicCast 50 is only 100 Base-TX/10 Base-T but it can support 2.4 and 5.0Ghz Wi-Fi. I have a Yamaha soundbar and found switching from wired to wireless greatly improved throughput and stability.

Is there a reason you are using ethernet rather than wireless? The ethernet connection on the MusicCast 50 is only 100 Base-TX/10 Base-T but it can support 2.4 and 5.0Ghz Wi-Fi. I have a Yamaha soundbar and found switching from wired to wireless greatly improved throughput and stability.
Well the reason is that the MusicCast and the router are placed on the same table. The distance is so small so there is no need for wireless.
Also for internet radio I think that 100 Base-TX/10 Base-T should be more than enough., right ?

Have you tried different (brand, length, quality) Ethernet cables? Have you tried flipping the one you got from the router to YMC50 to YMC50 to the router (end over end)?

Can you test with an unmanaged 'dumb' switch in between them? Can you test on another port of the router? Are you using ports 5-8 on the RT-AC88U? Power it down, unplug all cables, USB drives, and power cords/plugs, but leave the power button 'on' for a few minutes to let it drain the capacitors internally. Then plug everything in and try again.

I don't think it is possible to restart the LAN ports except by rebooting the router.

The likely explanation is because it is an RT-AC88U.

What firmware are you using on it, btw?
My firmware is 384.19

I did not try it with the ports 5 to 8, just on 3 and 4. Is there any difference ?
I will also try a different cable. I will post than again.

Try all ports available. No guarantee that if one works, the others will too.

The RT-AC88U is known to have issues with the LAN Ports.

Hi, does the same problem happen with other internet radios?

I use MusicCast over WiFi on the 2.4GHz network and it works without problems, however an internet radio has the problem you describe. If I reload it from the app it works again, without doing anything on the router. In my case the problem is the internet radio