What's new

Restrict VPN traffic INTO my network to 1 IP on my LAN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

danbutter

New Around Here
I have searched and read a lot and it seems that most people want to selectively route outgoing traffic.
I would like to do the opposite.
Two things I am trying to accomplish:
I have the first VPN server running and I connect to it just fine from my cell phone to access my home network. Works great.
Can I start the second VPN server (both openvpn) and have it let another person connect, but route them to a single IP on my LAN?
My goal is to share snapshots of one of my cameras via Blue Iris without doing port forwarding.
I would like to restrict their access to this single IP and port if possible. If I could do a specific URL that would be even better!

Is this possible?
FYI I have an RT-AC68U on the 380.69 firmware.

Thanks,
Dan

Can I start the second VPN server (both openvpn) and have it let another person connect, but route them to a single IP on my LAN? My goal is to share snapshots of one of my cameras via Blue Iris without doing port forwarding.
I would like to restrict their access to this single IP and port if possible.

1.Define a unique OpenVPN Server client i.e. UserName and password for your friend in the GUI e.g. 'BlueIris/Guest123'

2. For OpenVPN Server 2 (listening on a different port than your OpenVPN Server 1 i.e. not 1194) set 'Username/Password Authentication=YES' in the GUI to enforce PW+Certificate authentication.

3. Assign a static IP (say 10.16.0.123) to client 'BlueIris' when it connects to your OpenVPN Server 2 using the GUI Custom Configuration 'client connect' script (see How to set a static IP to OpenVPN TUN clients )
i.e. Create client config file /jffs/configs/openvpn/ccd2/client_BlueIris
Code:
# Custom CCD directives for single common name 'client' user BlueIris
# Assign static I/P xxx.xxx.xxx.88 (Normally xxx.xxx.xxx=10.8.0 for VPN Server 1, and xxx.xxx.xxx=10.16.0 for VPN Server 2)
# NOTE: 'staticip' is NOT a valid OpenVPN directive, but it is an easy to remember psuedo command short-cut!
staticip 123

4. Install @john9527's openvpn-event template script /jff/scripts/openvpn-event (see openvpn-event script template)

Create the firewall rule to only allow the static 'BlueIris' IP address access to LAN resource server/port in script '/jffs/scripts/vpnserver2-up'
e.g. For OpenVPN Server 2 client IP address 10.16.0.123 restrict LAN access to ONLY Blue Iris Server TCP port 8081
Code:
#!/bin/sh

iptables -D FORWARD -i tun22 -o br0 -s 10.16.0.123 -j DROP
iptables -D FORWARD -i tun22 -o br0 -s 10.16.0.123 -p tcp --dport 8081 -d 192.168.1.123 -j ACCEPT

logger -st "($(basename $0))" $$ "Restrict 10.16.0.123 inbound from Openvpn 2 to ONLY the Blue Iris Server (192.168.1.xxx) TCP port 8081"
iptables -I FORWARD -i tun22 -o br0 -s 10.16.0.123 -j DROP
iptables -I FORWARD -i tun22 -o br0 -s 10.16.0.123 -p tcp --dport 8081 -d 192.168.1.123 -j ACCEPT

EDIT: Fixed typo in file name '/jffs/scripts/vpnserver2-up'

Last edited:
Well first off thanks!
I have gotten 1 and 2 done for sure.
When doing 3 I followed the link and made a VPNClientConnect.sh file and client_config file as you said above with staticip 123.
Thing is I'm not sure what the file need to be. Should this be a .sh file as well?
This is as far as I have gotten so far.

Thanks for the help!

Well first off thanks!
I have gotten 1 and 2 done for sure.
When doing 3 I followed the link and made a VPNClientConnect.sh file and client_config file as you said above with staticip 123.
Thing is I'm not sure what the file need to be. Should this be a .sh file as well?
This is as far as I have gotten so far.

Thanks for the help!

Check and post the output...

NOTE: To prevent being blocked :rolleyes:, I have inserted '#' into the 'list' commands, and reference to directory 'etc' has spaces inserted;)

You should have the following three script files
Code:
l#s -lah /jffs/scripts/* | grep -iE "/openvpn|/vpnserver|clientconnect"

-rwxr-xr-x    1 admin    root       15.1K Dec 23 16:46 /jffs/scripts/VPNClientConnect.sh
-rwxr-xr-x    1 admin    root        2.9K Oct 17 08:33 /jffs/scripts/openvpn-event
-rwxr-xr-x    1 admin    root        2.1K Jun 26  2017 /jffs/scripts/vpnserver2-up

cat /jffs/scripts/vpnserver2-up
and client "BlueIris'" OpenVPN Server 2 CCD config file
Code:
l#s -lah /jffs/configs/openvpn/ccd2

-rw-r--r--    1 admin    root         822 Dec 23 13:16 client_BlueIris

cat /jffs/configs/openvpn/ccd2/client_BlueIris
If you have followed the instructions and correctly added the following to the OpenVPN Server 2 Custom Configuration GUI...

upload_2018-1-22_8-26-41.png

..when you restart OpenVPN Server 2 it will create its config file, and there should now be a reference to script 'VPNClientConnect.sh'
Code:
grep "^client" /e t c/openvpn/server2/config.ovpn
You should now attempt to connect to OpenVPN Server 2 using your phone, but if you do not supply the correct Username/password (together with a valid certificate) or you omit supplying the Username/password, then you will not be able to connect.
Code:
RT-AC68U daemon.err ovpn-server2[2838]: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx TLS Error: Auth Username/Password was not provided by peer
RT-AC68U daemon.err ovpn-server2[2838]: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx TLS Error: TLS handshake failed

If the static IP OpenVPN configuration is correct, then you should now see something similar in Syslog
Code:
RT-AC68U daemon.notice ovpn-server2[11880]: OpenVPN 2.4.4 arm-unknown-linux-gnu [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [LZ4] [EPOLL] [MH/PKTINFO] [AEAD] built on Jan 21 2018
RT-AC68U daemon.notice ovpn-server2[11880]: library versions: OpenSSL 1.0.2n  7 Dec 2017, LZO 2.08
RT-AC68U daemon.warn ovpn-server2[11881]: NOTE: the current --script-security setting may allow this configuration to call user-defined scripts
RT-AC68U daemon.notice ovpn-server2[11881]: PLUGIN_INIT: POST /usr/lib/openvpn-plugin-auth-pam.so '[/usr/lib/openvpn-plugin-auth-pam.so] [openvpn]' intercepted=PLUGIN_AUTH_USER_PASS_VERIFY
RT-AC68U daemon.notice ovpn-server2[11881]: Diffie-Hellman initialized with 2048 bit key
RT-AC68U daemon.notice ovpn-server2[11881]: TUN/TAP device tun22 opened
RT-AC68U daemon.notice ovpn-server2[11881]: TUN/TAP TX queue length set to 100

RT-AC68U kern.info kernel: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): tun22: link becomes ready

RT-AC68U user.warn updown.sh[11886]: User openvpn-event running
RT-AC68U user.warn updown.sh[11886]:      Script executing.. for event: vpnserver2-up
RT-AC68U user.warn (vpnserver2-up): 11917 OpenVPN event 'up' (tun22) via 10.16.0.1 args

RT-AC68U daemon.notice ovpn-server2[11881]: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx PLUGIN_CALL: POST /usr/lib/openvpn-plugin-auth-pam.so/PLUGIN_AUTH_USER_PASS_VERIFY status=0

RT-AC68U daemon.notice ovpn-server2[11881]: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx TLS: Username/Password authentication succeeded for username 'BlueIris'

RT-AC68U user.warn (VPNClientConnect.sh): 12605 v4.51 VPN Server 2 Client user 'BlueIris' CCD configuration starting.... [/tmp/openvpn_cc_4809b21e7d4d422c.tmp]
RT-AC68U user.warn (VPNClientConnect.sh): 12605 Processing Client_username file '/jffs/configs/openvpn/ccd2/client_BlueIris'
RT-AC68U user.warn (VPNClientConnect.sh): 12605 Psuedo command 'staticip' will assign I/P address 10.16.0.123 to Client user 'BlueIris'
RT-AC68U user.warn (VPNClientConnect.sh): 12605 VPN Server 2 Client user 'BlueIris' CCD config: ifconfig-push 10.16.0.123 255.255.255.0
RT-AC68U user.warn (VPNClientConnect.sh): 12605 VPN Server 2 Client CCD configuration ended.

RT-AC68U daemon.notice ovpn-server2[11881]: client/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx OPTIONS IMPORT: reading client specific options from: /tmp/openvpn_cc_4809b21e7d4d422c.tmp
RT-AC68U daemon.notice ovpn-server2[11881]: client/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx MULTI: Learn: 10.16.0.123 -> client/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
RT-AC68U daemon.notice ovpn-server2[11881]: client/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx MULTI: primary virtual IP for client/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: 10.16.0.123

Last edited:
Ok again first off let me thank you for your help.
Now I haven't had time to mess with this for a couple months...life happened, death happened, more life and I'm sure you get the picture.

So I had some time today and I logged into the router and saw a new update available and applied that. Now running Merlin 384.4.
Don't know if there were any upgrades that would keep this from working or not, but thought I should mention it.

So I started from scratch today and did the whole thing over again. I formatted the JFFS via the radio button under administration and system tab.
I followed to the letter (or number) everything you posted.
In the end I got an error: Failed running command (--up/--down) and the OpenVPN server would not run.
Once I deleted the scripts from jffs/scripts and hit apply again it would run ok.

One thing I noticed is that the file size was very different for each of the scripts than what you have shown above. Where you had 15k I had 4k. You had 2.9k I had about 1k and where you had 2.1k I had like 450b. I just copied and pasted into notepad++ to save/make the files.

Any thoughts?