What's new

Ring Video doorbell choppy live video

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cooloutac

Very Senior Member
Been back and forth with Ring support they keep blaming the ac66u b1 router I'm using. I kept blaming the android app cause it worked fine on my pc, but they are sayin thats cause the pc is wired. But I kept telling them that nightvision mode works fine but during day time view there is an issue.

Tried upgrading firmware, going to merlin firmware. Then I tried with stock verizon fios router and it actually worked fine. So is there is something wrong with the asus router?

Any ideas if there is any setting I could try? Or do I just have to buy another brand router and stay away from the asus ones? Maybe I should just buy verizons actiontec router. Maybe retail consumer routers are not that great especially for demaning video apps like the ring doorbell?

Thanks,

Rich.

could verizon be messing with my connections? because we didn't do triple play only 100/100 fiber and i also have a magick jack with funky caller id and i tried everything splitter, dsl filter, diffwires etc lol.

I do have a couple other brand indoor wireless cameras that work fine i should point out. samsung and anotherone i forget. but they work fine its only ring app has a problem. And magickjack app. I'm blaming them but now I'm tempted to get another router and see.

I mean even if I run eveything wired but the door bell. or nothing else on but the doorbell. I think is the app overpowering my weak snapdragon processor on the cell phone. but I do know that pinging some of thering devices is all over the place.

Changing frequency helped to get ping good. still that initial delay then ping stablize. But it went from in the 100s to like 50 on one particular ring device. The others ping like 2-5ms, 2.4ghz. wired islike .3 or something. .5

but rssi nor ping seem to matter with this sissue i'm having. And it seems like the ring doorbell 1 work fine for me. Its their latest doorbell. which does use slightly higher resolution.

What band is the Ring on? If on 2.4 GHz then: What channel is the vzr router using? What channel is the Asus using? Are both using a 20 MHz channel width? Have you tried turning off Airtime Fairness, Explicit Beamforming and Universal Beamforming on the 2.4 GHz band? On 5 GHz just disable Airtime Fairness and Universal Beamforming. There is absolutely no reason that the Asus router should be performing worse than the vzw router. Is the vzw router actually a router or a gateway? If gateway do you have it properly bridged when using the Asus router?

Like @doczenith1 I need clarification/verification of the setup. Please confirm:
Ring ---> WiFi ---> AC66U ---> 100/100 Fiber Internet ---> Ring server​
  • What model Ring do you have?
I kept blaming the android app cause it worked fine on my pc, but they are sayin thats cause the pc is wired.
  • So you're saying that your Windows PC, using a web browser to Ring website, does not have the choppy video issue described. The Windows PC being Ethernet connected to AC66U.
  • Since the issue only occurs during daylight hours, what other devices are in use during the day that are not at night?
  • Android app on your Samsung is the only device experiencing the issue?
    • If so, which WiFi network is it on; AC66U or FIOS? Or is it using cellular connection?
I do have a couple other brand indoor wireless cameras that work fine i should point out.
  • How many is a couple?
  • What brands and models?
  • What happens if you power-off these cameras? Does the issue go away?
As @doczenith1 eluded to, I believe you may have too many devices on 2.4GHz WiFi but you need to provide answers to our questions.

Then I tried with stock verizon fios router and it actually worked fine.
  • Do you have FIOS router running all the time?
    • If so, is WiFi on and being used on the FIOS router?

I think is the app overpowering my weak snapdragon processor on the cell phone.
Please invite someone to your home with a recent model iPhone to test your theory.

What band is the Ring on? If on 2.4 GHz then: What channel is the vzr router using? What channel is the Asus using? Are both using a 20 MHz channel width? Have you tried turning off Airtime Fairness, Explicit Beamforming and Universal Beamforming on the 2.4 GHz band? On 5 GHz just disable Airtime Fairness and Universal Beamforming. There is absolutely no reason that the Asus router should be performing worse than the vzw router. Is the vzw router actually a router or a gateway? If gateway do you have it properly bridged when using the Asus router?

using 2.4 ghz. yes i tried shutting those options off didn't have much effect. Asus router is plugged directly by ethernet to the ONT verizon box.

Like @doczenith1 I need clarification/verification of the setup. Please confirm:
Ring ---> WiFi ---> AC66U ---> 100/100 Fiber Internet ---> Ring server​
  • What model Ring do you have?
  • So you're saying that your Windows PC, using a web browser to Ring website, does not have the choppy video issue described. The Windows PC being Ethernet connected to AC66U.
  • Since the issue only occurs during daylight hours, what other devices are in use during the day that are not at night?
  • Android app on your Samsung is the only device experiencing the issue?
    • If so, which WiFi network is it on; AC66U or FIOS? Or is it using cellular connection?
  • How many is a couple?
  • What brands and models?
  • What happens if you power-off these cameras? Does the issue go away?
As @doczenith1 eluded to, I believe you may have too many devices on 2.4GHz WiFi but you need to provide answers to our questions.

• Do you have FIOS router running all the time?
    • If so, is WiFi on and being used on the FIOS router?

Doorbell 2.

Windows pc using the windows 10 ring app. yes by ethernet. router is plugged directly into verizon modem.

Even with no other wifi devices connected but the doorbell still has an issue. I still wonder if its the android app thats the problem, in combination with fact i'm using the doorbell 2 not the doorbell 1. Maybe its not the router I dunno what to think anymore, maybe its just totally random.

Forgot to mention earlier i get the best pings from router to the device when using channel 1.

ALso forgot to mention I also have a chime pro which is constantly disconnects. but no matter how many devices on the network doesn't seem to make a diff.

Maybe I should download an app to my phone and test for interference? Is there any such thing?

Please invite someone to your home with a recent model iPhone to test your theory.

Yes thankyou thats a great idea. My mothers samsung edge 7 is still choppy at times, but its much better then on my phone which will actually constantly freeze.

I will ask my sister to come over with her iphone and see if there is a difference. Maybe its just some weird conflict with android phones and ring device and asus router.

I bought a cheap Tip Link wifi extender from amazon for about $20.00 usd. It really helped out boosting my device health by 30% just a thought.

Yes thankyou thats a great idea. My mothers samsung edge 7 is still choppy at times, but its much better then on my phone which will actually constantly freeze.

I will ask my sister to come over with her iphone and see if there is a difference. Maybe its just some weird conflict with android phones and ring device and asus router.
Since two Samsung devices have choppy video, I just want to eliminate them and the app.

Doorbell 2.
Ring 2 is a higher resolution than Ring 1 and requires more bandwidth. Both models use 2.4GHz.
  • Do you have one SSID or two, one for 2.4 and another for 5?

Ring 2 is a higher resolution than Ring 1 and requires more bandwidth. Both models use 2.4GHz.
  • Do you have one SSID or two, one for 2.4 and another for 5?

ya I still think its hardware related though. Yes I have two ssid's. hidden or unhidden don't make a diff either.

also tried using a chime pro extender. tried connecting doorbell to router indoors right next to it and it worked better. but I mean it has to be less then 5 feet away? something is wrong. Idon't even know if that was a fluke. Even on my wired desktop its not perfect. but it definitely runs it the best. never freezes always loads. just cars driving by are a little choppy. haven't tested voip to the doorbell yet though.

But its way worse on my fiesta 2 then it is on the edge 7, for obvious reasons namely beefier hardware imo. Snapdragon 920 vs 520 and 4gb ram vs 2 gb. Theres a huge difference between the two phones when using the ring doorbell. The fiesta 2 some of the buttons freeze and voip is always borked. On the edge 7 the doorbell 2 is usable but the playback is choppy and way poorer quality then wired desktop.

My nieces were just over here with iphones and I totally forgot to test with them. I'll try this week.

Last edited:
In my experience it is better to use the same SSID name for 2.4 and 5GHz. Let the devices choose the frequency. Some devices will automatically go from one to the other depending on need and some will use both at same time.

Right now I am thinking that the 2.4GHz is over booked. Consider off loading the cameras to a WiFi extender with a different SSID.

Then I tried with stock verizon fios router and it actually worked fine. So is there is something wrong with the asus router?

A few posts back you mention "router is plugged directly into verizon modem". Do you have a model number for the vzw device? I'm trying to understand if the vzw device is a plain ONT or if it's a gateway (ONT+router). I'm guessing it's a gateway if you were able to connect your Ring to it. Are you able to and if so have you bridged the vzw device when using the Asus as your router?

In my experience it is better to use the same SSID name for 2.4 and 5GHz. Let the devices choose the frequency. Some devices will automatically go from one to the other depending on need and some will use both at same time.

Right now I am thinking that the 2.4GHz is over booked. Consider off loading the cameras to a WiFi extender with a different SSID.

ring only uses 2.4 whether i let router choose it or manual doesn't seem to make much diff. I do see differences in the ping. but not end result with the videof playback.

A few posts back you mention "router is plugged directly into verizon modem". Do you have a model number for the vzw device? I'm trying to understand if the vzw device is a plain ONT or if it's a gateway (ONT+router). I'm guessing it's a gateway if you were able to connect your Ring to it. Are you able to and if so have you bridged the vzw device when using the Asus as your router?

I'm not sure. Its a much bigger ont then the one I had in New York, I mean huge, but it worked the same way I just plugged an ethernet cable into it and then my router. I called them to make sure thats all I had to do after moving into a new house, cause I know in the past you would have to call them and ask them to switch the ont to ethernet. but they said it was already capable. I'm not using their router just the giant ONT. Even getting way faster and stable speeds then I did at my old place with same speed plan. 100/100 there I would get like 10.5mbs here I get up to 12.9 on the ethernet wire.

I do have an old verizon fios router. don't use it anymore cause it doesn't get updates. They let me keep it, thats the one I tested with, its an older actiontec model. Should I test again and put it into bridge mode and then connect asus router to it? Its fine for the 100/100 connection. not sure what wireless it has never looked up the spects. the new quantum routers are same as the asus ac1750.

now I'm also noticing the ring chimes drop connection very often. sometimes when I look at the app it will inform me it lost connection for a brief moment. Its happening all the time. Not sure why this only happens with the ring apps.

Maybe I should connect my tv to the 2.4 ghz and see if it starts having connection problems? When using 5.0ghz band the tv streaming dolby vision never has a hiccup. Neither does a samsung camera I use at 1080p. Its just all the ring devices I can't figure it out. Ring is at a loss too.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!