What's new

Roaming block list, local only or sync across nodes (AIMesh)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HuskyHerder

I was wondering if the list prohibits the device from moving to nodes aka it keeps the device on the Router only ? or the devices that are connected to a node, will it prevent it from roaming off that node including back to the router ?

Basically my nodes are keeping the devices where they need to be, but every so often I'll have one stretch its legs and pop over to another node or the router. I was looking for a way to say hey device xxx you stay on node xxx etc.
Mesh, & RA are both doing a pretty decent job along with setting my power levels. It's really a non issue. I however want to increase my knowledge of how it works. So any insight would be appreciated.

I realize, I could accomplish this by using different SSIDS etc, (If I left Mesh and ran in AP mode) but that's not my wish. I'll just keep on letting them occasionally walk around, if needed.

I was wondering if the list prohibits the device from moving to nodes aka it keeps the device on the Router only ? or the devices that are connected to a node, will it prevent it from roaming off that node including back to the router ?

Basically my nodes are keeping the devices where they need to be, but every so often I'll have one stretch its legs and pop over to another node or the router. I was looking for a way to say hey device xxx you stay on node xxx etc.
Mesh, & RA are both doing a pretty decent job along with setting my power levels. It's really a non issue. I however want to increase my knowledge of how it works. So any insight would be appreciated.

I realize, I could accomplish this by using different SSIDS etc, (If I left Mesh and ran in AP mode) but that's not my wish. I'll just keep on letting them occasionally walk around, if needed.

I have the same need, most of my devices work great with AIMesh, but I need a couple of devices to pin to a specific Router/Node. Specifically the Rain Machine changes nodes constantly and doesn't handle the switching well.

Another vote. I have a device that is stationary and close enough to roam, but doesn't recover gracefully. I would love to assign a device to a specific node if I needed to.

same here

I'm chuckling a little when I read this thread. AiMesh with the old school capabilities of standalone/independent AP's. :)

Why are we messing around with mesh then?

HuskyHerder, why is your wish to use AiMesh? What benefits does it actually offer?

I think with 6 AiMesh routers (am I reading that correctly?) you may have overdone mesh at your location?

Have you tried using fewer nodes? Not only will you have a faster network overall, but you should also be able to eliminate the issues you're now having too.

There is a thread detailing some of my environmental issues here.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...hz-when-set-as-aimesh-node.50303/#post-454891

No not 6, really 5... working to provide wifi in the home. Yes still a lot for my size house. It's the environmental issues that get us. The entire neighborhood is this way.

The in-laws live across the street and I can marginally get a wifi signal from the rear office in their home to the their living room.
In all my years, I have never had 2 homes with such challenging wifi, and I use to install home security with wireless devices. * Which, I hated because I always had to install them in houses, just like mine. I always preferred hardwired for reliability, which is why I have cat6 ran in the house.

To be exact.

1 Merlin as Main router, no wifi.
1 Mesh router as center hub in the home
4 Mesh Nodes in the home.
1 Mesh node in the detached garage 50-75' from the home

The nodes in the kids rooms are also providing ethernet ports to each of their respective, Apple TV's, and Xbox's etc. I've had dumb switches in their place before and pulled them and went with nodes. I couldn't see running a switch and a node (for wifi) when a simple node with available ports would work just fine.

The Garage node cannot be seen inside the home at all. I actually even forget its part of my system at time's. But it provides wifi to some IOT devices and cameras

I am for the most part happy and in a few years when my last 2 kids leave the nest. By all means I'll cut down on nodes or whatever I am using at that time. In reality, I could likely cut it back to 1 router and 2 node's at that time.

My network is pretty dang fast now, I am sure it might change a bit with less nodes, but possibly not.

I have tried so many combinations over the years, umpteen positions in each room, positions in the house etc. It's almost unbelievable how much I have gone through. Right now the setup, I have is the best I have ever had in the home. Great wifi, great performance.

I have mulled changing things up, and trying another setup (I can hear the wife now... Not again!). I do get bored and must tweak the experience. :p But several things usually get in the way like,... wife works from home, * I had better have a good reason to monkey with the net. Also, I travel for work and my home time is a premium, so if it ain't broke don't fix it.

* I already stay up late on the weekends and do any updates/ upgrades after she's done working and the kids are asleep.

There is a thread detailing some of my environmental issues here.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...hz-when-set-as-aimesh-node.50303/#post-454891

No not 6, really 5... working to provide wifi in the home. Yes still a lot for my size house. It's the environmental issues that get us. The entire neighborhood is this way.

The in-laws live across the street and I can marginally get a wifi signal from the rear office in their home to the their living room.
In all my years, I have never had 2 homes with such challenging wifi, and I use to install home security with wireless devices. * Which, I hated because I always had to install them in houses, just like mine. I always preferred hardwired for reliability, which is why I have cat6 ran in the house.

To be exact.

1 Merlin as Main router, no wifi.
1 Mesh router as center hub in the home
4 Mesh Nodes in the home.
1 Mesh node in the detached garage 50-75' from the home

The nodes in the kids rooms are also providing ethernet ports to each of their respective, Apple TV's, and Xbox's etc. I've had dumb switches in their place before and pulled them and went with nodes. I couldn't see running a switch and a node (for wifi) when a simple node with available ports would work just fine.

The Garage node cannot be seen inside the home at all. I actually even forget its part of my system at time's. But it provides wifi to some IOT devices and cameras

I am for the most part happy and in a few years when my last 2 kids leave the nest. By all means I'll cut down on nodes or whatever I am using at that time. In reality, I could likely cut it back to 1 router and 2 node's at that time.

My network is pretty dang fast now, I am sure it might change a bit with less nodes, but possibly not.

I have tried so many combinations over the years, umpteen positions in each room, positions in the house etc. It's almost unbelievable how much I have gone through. Right now the setup, I have is the best I have ever had in the home. Great wifi, great performance.

I have mulled changing things up, and trying another setup (I can hear the wife now... Not again!). I do get bored and must tweak the experience. :p But several things usually get in the way like,... wife works from home, * I had better have a good reason to monkey with the net. Also, I travel for work and my home time is a premium, so if it ain't broke don't fix it.

* I already stay up late on the weekends and do any updates/ upgrades after she's done working and the kids are asleep.

Thank you for the details.

I still count 6 AiMesh devices though. :)

Lol. Well yes 6. :oops:

For some reason I always get it in my head that the Mesh Router just manages the nodes and doesn’t do any Wi-Fi itself. It does do Wi-Fi.

Oh well.

Lol. Well yes 6. :oops:

For some reason I always get it in my head that the Mesh Router just manages the nodes and doesn’t do any Wi-Fi itself. It does do Wi-Fi.

Oh well.

No problem. I still think you've oversaturated the home with nodes (and more nodes = slower network). You could probably take out 2 or 3 of them and still have great (maybe even better) performance from the network overall.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!