What's new

Roku Streaming Stick+ Does Not Connect 5GHz with RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PeteS457

New Around Here
I'm having an issue I'm hoping someone can help me with. I have several media devices in my home which all connect to my Asus RT-AC88U router on the 5GHz band: multiple Google Home devices, 2 Chromecasts, Nest cameras and thermostats, 2 Nvidia Shields - you get the idea, it works well. However, I have a Roku Streaming Stick+ - which is one of the latest and greatest Roku devices that supports 5GHz - which connects to the router on the 2.4GHz band. It's a real problem as I stream a lot of high quality video media and I get 5X the bandwith to my devices with the 5GHz band than with the 2.4GHz band. Doing my Google research, it appears that there are certain 5GHz channels that Roku doesn't connect with, so-called DFS channels. I'm using the Smart Connect feature of the RT-AC88U router so I see both 2.4 and 5GHz bands as a single network for simplicity and would like to keep it that way. However, it appears that I can't control channels, etc with Smart Connect, everything on the Wireless settings in the firmware seems to be "Auto". I *think* the 5GHz band is broadcasting on channel 157 - which I don't think is a DFS channel anyway - but I'm not sure how you can tell which channel it's using. (I suspect it's 157 because if I change the dropdown in the Professional tab to 5Ghz and go back to the General tab, it says that channel 157 is the Current Control Channel.) In addition, I have another older Roku device that IS connecting to the router's 5GHz band! Out of the approximately 15-20 5GHz capable devices in my home, every single one of them is connecting to the router's 5GHz band except for this one Roku Streaming Stick+. Does anyone have a clue as to what is happening and how I can correct this problem? The device is not at a great distance from the router, about the same distance as all the other devices. Thanks for any insights as to what I can do from the router side to get this device to connect on 5GHz.

I'm having an issue I'm hoping someone can help me with. I have several media devices in my home which all connect to my Asus RT-AC88U router on the 5GHz band: multiple Google Home devices, 2 Chromecasts, Nest cameras and thermostats, 2 Nvidia Shields - you get the idea, it works well. However, I have a Roku Streaming Stick+ - which is one of the latest and greatest Roku devices that supports 5GHz - which connects to the router on the 2.4GHz band. It's a real problem as I stream a lot of high quality video media and I get 5X the bandwith to my devices with the 5GHz band than with the 2.4GHz band. Doing my Google research, it appears that there are certain 5GHz channels that Roku doesn't connect with, so-called DFS channels. I'm using the Smart Connect feature of the RT-AC88U router so I see both 2.4 and 5GHz bands as a single network for simplicity and would like to keep it that way. However, it appears that I can't control channels, etc with Smart Connect, everything on the Wireless settings in the firmware seems to be "Auto". I *think* the 5GHz band is broadcasting on channel 157 - which I don't think is a DFS channel anyway - but I'm not sure how you can tell which channel it's using. (I suspect it's 157 because if I change the dropdown in the Professional tab to 5Ghz and go back to the General tab, it says that channel 157 is the Current Control Channel.) In addition, I have another older Roku device that IS connecting to the router's 5GHz band! Out of the approximately 15-20 5GHz capable devices in my home, every single one of them is connecting to the router's 5GHz band except for this one Roku Streaming Stick+. Does anyone have a clue as to what is happening and how I can correct this problem? The device is not at a great distance from the router, about the same distance as all the other devices. Thanks for any insights as to what I can do from the router side to get this device to connect on 5GHz.

Will it connect to a 5 GHz guest network SSID? The Roku may be happier on a separate SSID.

OE

Turn off Smart Connect and use same SSID on both bands, change channel to 36 and try again, you could disable 2.4G to be sure it connects to 5G.
149+ are not DFS channels, maybe you got an EU device which wont support those channels or Roku only set to wrong region.

I have my Roku device's connected to the 2.4 band except for the Roku ultra which is hard wired. I don't think you should have any problem with bandwidth.I would just leave it if it's happy there

Wifi Channel bandwidth needs to be set at 40 or 80 and no DFS channels. Try Channel Bandwidth of 40 and channel 46 for 5ghz.