What's new

ROUTE 2 VLANS AND ADSL TOGETHER

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

drcl

New Around Here
Hi all

Planning a simple setup for the new location at work.

Planning to use DLink DGS-1210 Gbit switch which has quite powerful ACL control and VLAN capability.

Plan to have 2 networks, 1 for staff and 1 for clients.

Staff VLAN needs to be completely isolated from the client's and both need access to the ADSL2 connection. I don't believe that requires VLAN "trunking" does it?

Have a BT business hub 3 Gateway "router" but I dont think its possible to control routing to subnets on this weird thing. So my question is probably ridiculously simple. What is a good 100mbit device to do the job? I am browsing ebay and amazon and there are so many consumer ones but I'm guessing something more along the lines of a cisco device is appropriate or is that overkill?

I still plan to use the wireless functionality of the Business Hub if I can.

Thanks, all ideas appreciated.

If you have a limited budget then a solution like the Linksys LRT224\214 would work. They have built in Layer 2\3 VLAN's.

Dunno, but I can do it on my TP-Link SG2216, as well as Trendnet TEG160SW and DLink DGS1100-05.

All three support VLANs and also support multiple group memberships on a port. I don't know about doing VLAN tagging from the client adapter through the router to see if that'll work, but setting per port VLAN membership I've tested it and it works across my network.

So for example I can make the router a member of VLAN group 1 and 2 and then assign my server to group 1, my desktop to group 2 and my access points to group 2, and then anything connecting through the access points is isolated from my desktop and server which are on group 1, but both my server, desktop and all APs can access the internet through the router.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!