What's new

route all traffic through VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jeffrey

New Around Here
Hello,

I want to access one of my home devices with a LAN connection from my cell when I am outside. I tried using my Asus RT-AC88U's original firmware's openssl and ipsec VPN to connect home and access it but it doesn't go through my VPN network, it goes through my phone's internet.

I see that the Asuswrt Merlin firmware's VPN settings allows all traffic to be routed through VPN, can someone please tell me if this would mean I can access my home device like I am at home in a LAN network?

Thanks very much in advance.

Deleted

I assume you meant to say OpenVPN not openssl?

The OpenVPN server works the same way in Merlin's firmware as it does in the original. If it's not working for you then you haven't configured it correctly.

One thing I discovered when setting up my AC1900P is that the VPN server for me was unreachable if the remote device had a VPN client running. Apparently the settings from the double VPNs conflict.

If you have a VPN client running on your remote device turn it off then try and connect. If you are testing from home using a phone turn of the WiFi connection and use your cell connection and be sure that any VPN client running on the phone is off.

Sorry I do mean OpenVPN

I thought there were further settings with the Asuswrt Merlin firmware... maybe I need to look into configuring it properly

Thanks CaptainSTX also, but I am not on wifi, I am able to connect to the Open VPN, just cannot access my home device like on LAN

I am able to connect to the Open VPN, just cannot access my home device like on LAN
While using "Open VPN" is the right mistake it can be a little persnickety if you try to use a "name" to access a device. Try using the device's IP address instead?

Or try using PPTP (the other VPN) instead. I found it much simpler and it's already pre-installed in many client devices.

Hi Guys, so I think my openvpn is setup to route all traffics through the VPN now, when i access different sites, I confirm i am using the VPN's internet address, but when i access my home device.. it is still connecting me like as if i am from outside..

Hi Guys, so I think my openvpn is setup to route all traffics through the VPN now, when i access different sites, I confirm i am using the VPN's internet address,
Are you talking about the router's VPN client or VPN server?

but when i access my home device.. it is still connecting me like as if i am from outside..
You're going to have to explain exactly what you mean by this.