What's new

Route through another gateway

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheMephistophelian

New Around Here
I am wondering if it is possible to route traffic from a certain source (IP or SSID) through another gateway on my local network on a N66U running ASUSWRT Merlin?

Specifically, I have a server, 10.0.0.100, running a VPN tunnel, and I want to make select sources use this server as gateway instead of the N66U.

Say my Mac is on 10.0.0.50, if I pull DHCP from the N66U (10.0.0.1) i get:
IP: 10.0.0.50
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 10.0.0.1
and connect through the WAN.

If I manually adjust the gateway configuration to 10.0.0.100 on my Mac, I connect through the VPN.

I want to automatically route traffic from my Mac (10.0.0.50) through the VPN gateway. Is this possible? I have looked into routing through iptables, but so far have been unable to come up with something that works.

The solution would be somewhat similar to routing a specific SSID through the OpenVPN client in the firmware (or the new Policy based routing option), but instead of using the built in VPN client, I want to use my own.

Am I going down the wrong path, could this be accomplished in some other way?

Thanks!