What's new

router 87U and PIA VPN and synology/ dns leaking

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cazzoi

Regular Contributor
Hello Everyone.

i hope anyone can help me with this cause i got no clue what i am doing i am totalt new to this. atm i been using my synology with the new PIA Open VPN and i cant get anything tho it what so ever. then i went to my routher (asus 87u with merlin Firmware 380.61) in the Routing Table tab. in System log. then i saw some difftent ips i didt know of that a ip that was "default" and i didt know what it was.

i have been trying to get my Synology with the new Openvpn and ca, but i coudt and now when i see in my router it has a DNS leaking in it that i seen in the web that it says that it is leaking

is there there any FIX for this. or like a fix for the dns leakin i also wish i could get my synology with the PIA VPN working

if anyone would be so kind to help.

thanks in anvanced

Hello Everyone.

i hope anyone can help me with this cause i got no clue what i am doing i am totalt new to this. atm i been using my synology with the new PIA Open VPN and i cant get anything tho it what so ever. then i went to my routher (asus 87u with merlin Firmware 380.61) in the Routing Table tab. in System log. then i saw some difftent ips i didt know of that a ip that was "default" and i didt know what it was.

i have been trying to get my Synology with the new Openvpn and ca, but i coudt and now when i see in my router it has a DNS leaking in it that i seen in the web that it says that it is leaking

is there there any FIX for this. or like a fix for the dns leakin i also wish i could get my synology with the PIA VPN working

if anyone would be so kind to help.

thanks in anvanced
Here is a step by step guide for PIA and VPN for use with your ASUS router. Preferably Merlin Firmware but you can use either or.
If you have problems connecting or are having DNS leaks after you read the guide carefully then message me and I will try to help you out further.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/ho...-for-pia-and-other-vpn-providers-07-19.30851/

Here is a step by step guide for PIA and VPN for use with your ASUS router. Preferably Merlin Firmware but you can use either or.
If you have problems connecting or are having DNS leaks after you read the guide carefully then message me and I will try to help you out further.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/ho...-for-pia-and-other-vpn-providers-07-19.30851/

i almost read everything on that link :) you gave me.. but the problem is that i been using it on my synology everytime :)

the thing is that i only use the PIA twice on my PC but tbh i dont know if the synology or the PC have the DNS leak. it just bcos when i go to a site like ipleak.com and test it its says it leaking... but the thing is that i would like is to have my normal ip from my normal provider, so it dont leak with all diffrent countrys when i see the test i do see my ip is there but under it i seee like netherland or germany or like USA. and it kinda freaking me out and im scared about it.

anit there like a DNS reset so i just get my normal so i just see my ip. and not others ips?? so i dont get this DNS leak i honestly dont know hows this work? i just did that test and it freaked me out, with all those others ips im sorry. i just dont understand and im in panic

i almost read everything on that link :) you gave me.. but the problem is that i been using it on my synology everytime :)

the thing is that i only use the PIA twice on my PC but tbh i dont know if the synology or the PC have the DNS leak. it just bcos when i go to a site like ipleak.com and test it its says it leaking... but the thing is that i would like is to have my normal ip from my normal provider, so it dont leak with all diffrent countrys when i see the test i do see my ip is there but under it i seee like netherland or germany or like USA. and it kinda freaking me out and im scared about it.

anit there like a DNS reset so i just get my normal so i just see my ip. and not others ips?? so i dont get this DNS leak i honestly dont know hows this work? i just did that test and it freaked me out, with all those others ips im sorry. i just dont understand and im in panic

When you do a test for DNS leak it is normal that when you are on a VPN that the DNS address is the same as the IP address of the VPN server.
The only way you can have local ISP is to use policy rules instead of all traffic.
this way you can have specific devices on VPN all the time and the rest of the devices will be on regular ISP
is this where you want to go? or need help in?

When you do a test for DNS leak it is normal that when you are on a VPN that the DNS address is the same as the IP address of the VPN server.
The only way you can have local ISP is to use policy rules instead of all traffic.
this way you can have specific devices on VPN all the time and the rest of the devices will be on regular ISP
is this where you want to go? or need help in?

lets say i did a ip test on ipleak. with my normal ip with no VPN that are hooked right now atm i got PIA uninstall on my computer.. but when i do a test with my normal ip from my provider with no VPN that is connected. when i do the test i can see my ip wheres it says your ip is Denmark but i also see oters ips in the DNS Address detection: its see like 23 ips that and one Germany... is that normal? is there somehow i can reset that is that DNS leak? or i dont understand how this work.. is it bcus i had the VPN on on my computer before. im sorry if im too much. im just trying to figur this out but it also scaing me

lets say i did a ip test on ipleak. with my normal ip with no VPN that are hooked right now atm i got PIA uninstall on my computer.. but when i do a test with my normal ip from my provider with no VPN that is connected. when i do the test i can see my ip wheres it says your ip is Denmark but i also see oters ips in the DNS Address detection: its see like 23 ips that and one Germany... is that normal? is there somehow i can reset that is that DNS leak? or i dont understand how this work.. is it bcus i had the VPN on on my computer before. im sorry if im too much. im just trying to figur this out but it also scaing me
Think of it like this, Your IP address is like your address at home and the DNS is like the postal code.
It is normal that you have a lot of DNS addresses for your local ISP, you can use Google, opendns, norton DNS addresses with your local ISP and there is no problem. However when you are on a VPN the IP address and DNS should be the same but when your on local isp it is normal to see your local ISP address and a bunch of DNS addresses. don't worry be happy, things look right for you :)

Think of it like this, Your IP address is like your address at home and the DNS is like the postal code.
It is normal that you have a lot of DNS addresses for your local ISP, you can use Google, opendns, norton DNS addresses with your local ISP and there is no problem. However when you are on a VPN the IP address and DNS should be the same but when your on local isp it is normal to see your local ISP address and a bunch of DNS addresses. don't worry be happy, things look right for you :)

ok thats awsome :) thanks :)

now the tricky part i have some problem with my synology that i use with the VPN.. i got the new openvpn PIA with the ca.rsa.2048.crt and the other. butthe thing is that i cant get it to work im not getting any receiveding from it but it sending but not the other way :(