What's new

Router Advice Please - Asus AC3200, Asus AC3100, Netgear X6 or Netgear X4s?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

itrocks4u

New Around Here
Hi Guys,

I've been reading up on four different routers and I'm really confused which one to go for. I was set on Netgear x6 but it seems like Asus is more stable than Netgear. I currently have Asus N66 but given the number of devices that are constantly connected to internet, including netflix streaming etc. I don't think it's handling the load well and wifi has just gotten terrible. So the options I was thinking:

1) Netgear Nighthawk AC3200 X6 (1 GHz dual core processor)
2) Asus RT-AC3200 (1 GHz dual core processor)
3) Netgear X4S AC3200 (1.7 GHz dual core processor)
4) Asus RT-AC3100 (RT-AC88U) (1.4 GHz dual core processor)

Now all these are at the same price point and they aren't cheap. But it seems like 3) and 4) are more new. I thought Asus AC3200 would be better and with the tri-band ease off the workload. However, AC3100 is pretty nicely reviewed often noted to perform at speeds better than AC5300 (one of the articles that I read). However, AC3100 is dual-band and not tri-band which is throwing me off.

Some additional details:

- My internet plan is 100Mbps download and 10Mbps upload. I'm pretty sure even wired, with one device, I cannot achieve those speeds.
- My current router is Asus N-66
- Number of devices, best on my best estimate on average:

WIRED:
- 3 Laptops
- 1 work laptop which tends to take a lot of bandwidth I would say
- 1 Sony TV
- 1 PS3
- 1 Xbox
- 1 Media player connected to NAS (Mybooklive) where most of the media is stored
- Netgear access point

WIRELESS:
- 2 Laptops
- 2 Printers
- 1 Sony TV
- 1 Nvidia Shield
- 1 media player
- Netgear range extender which is terrible and further slows down
- 8 wireless devices including iPhones, iPads and Android cellphones

I've noticed N-66 struggles to keep the wireless signal. Initially it did quite well and could handle the load. But now often when I'm streaming from my hard drive, I get disconnected. Someone is almost always streaming both wired (on TV) and wireless (upstairs TV or Nvidia Shield or internally from the NAS). The wifi signal tends to drop, often I have to disconnect wifi on the phone and use data since wifi doesn't work. Restarting router restores everything and it works for a bit.

Please advise!

Last edited:
1) Netgear Nighthawk AC3200 X6 (1 GHz dual core processor)
2) Asus RT-AC3200 (1 GHz dual core processor)
3) Netgear X4S AC3200 (1.7 GHz dual core processor)
4) Asus RT-AC3100 (RT-AC88U) (1.4 GHz dual core processor)

the simple fact is all of these will work quite well and far better than any older wireless N router you have had in the past , if you are coming from a more recent wireless AC router your not going to notice a lot of difference in terms of coverage or throughput

unless you have the other side of 30 wireless AC clients connecting on 5 gig then the tri band routers are imho not warranted , and if you are after more coverage its a better idea to run 2 cheaper 1900ac class routers , one as the router and main wifi and one set in AP mode in another part of the house connect back by ethernet to the main router

so something like suggested above in the rt-ac1900p or asus rt-ac68u or netgear r7000

Last edited:

The RT-AC3100 seems reasonable if you're comfortable with the Asus UI... alt choice maybe in RT-AC68 series, or the follow on RT-AC1900 series - AC1900 class is the best bang for the buck for most folks.

I would stay away from any AC3200 solution, not much benefit there...

What number of devices do you have? What is your ISP paid for speeds? Wired, with no other network traffic on your end, can you achieve those speeds?

The RT-AC3100 may be the best choice of the ones you list, but you may want to also consider the RT-AC1900P if you have access to a BestBuy too for much less than the 'AC3100.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-wi...er-black/5091000.p?id=bb5091000&skuId=5091000

The RT-AC3100 seems reasonable if you're comfortable with the Asus UI... alt choice maybe in RT-AC68 series, or the follow on RT-AC1900 series - AC1900 class is the best bang for the buck for most folks.

I would stay away from any AC3200 solution, not much benefit there...

the simple fact is all of these will work quite well and far better than any older wireless N router you have had in the past , if you are coming from a more recent wireless AC router your not going to notice a lot of difference in terms of coverage or throughput

unless you have the other side of 30 wireless AC clients connecting on 5 gig then the tri band routers are imho not warranted , and if you are after more coverage its a better idea to run 2 cheaper 1900ac class routers , one as the router and main wifi and one set in AP mode in another part of the house connect back by ethernet to the main router

so something like suggested above in the rt-ac1900p or asus rt-ac68u or netgear r7000

I'll update the OP as well but here are a few more answers:
Some additional details:

- My internet plan is 100Mbps download and 10Mbps upload. I'm pretty sure even wired, with one device, I cannot achieve those speeds.
- My current router is Asus N-66
- Number of devices, best on my best estimate on average:

WIRED:
- 3 Laptops
- 1 work laptop which tends to take a lot of bandwidth I would say
- 1 Sony TV
- 1 PS3
- 1 Xbox
- 1 Media player connected to NAS (Mybooklive) where most of the media is stored
- Netgear access point

WIRELESS:
- 2 Laptops
- 2 Printers
- 1 Sony TV
- 1 Nvidia Shield
- 1 media player
- Netgear range extender which is terrible and further slows down
- 8 wireless devices including iPhones, iPads and Android cellphones

I've noticed N-66 struggles to keep the wireless signal. Initially it did quite well and could handle the load. But now often when I'm streaming from my hard drive, I get disconnected. Someone is almost always streaming both wired (on TV) and wireless (upstairs TV or Nvidia Shield or internally from the NAS). The wifi signal tends to drop, often I have to disconnect wifi on the phone and use data since wifi doesn't work. Restarting router restores everything and it works for a bit.

I would have though 1900 wouldn't be fast enough to handle the workload. And wouldn't AC3200 (tri-band) be better than AC3100 (dual-band but new)?

Please advise

Before considering another router (if you're happy with the current one when it works, of course), try the following.

First, use a small USB fan to cool the router and see if the issues persist.

Second, try a new AC power adaptor. The original one may be failing.

Also combine the above too, at least to test for stability.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!